PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate tyres

Ian Johnson
06-12-09, 16:51
Has anyone run Inters instead of slicks on dry/damp sprints? If so how did they compare

Ian

LM Racing
06-12-09, 18:34
I tried this a few years ago on my RT30. I had the previous years slicks cut to a wet pattern, but had them miss every second groove. In all honesty, it was not the best idea I have ever had. There was only a very narrow window they worked in, and buying an additional set of wheels and tyres hardly seems worth it. I am a big fan of full slicks on a damp track, and move to wets when there is standing water. I think you would be better spending money on replacing your slicks and wet more often than going down the intermediate route.

Radical
06-12-09, 18:51
Lindsay is correct,

Slicks work pefectly well on a damp track, I only use the wets in standing water. Not worth the cost and inconvenience to have anything intermediate.

To be honest, as I am not quick if the rain is hitting the visor, could brobably save on the expense of carrying the wets about.It has to be very wet to use them!

Craig Powers
06-12-09, 20:21
I tried this a few years ago on my RT30. I had the previous years slicks cut to a wet pattern, but had them miss every second groove. In all honesty, it was not the best idea I have ever had. There was only a very narrow window they worked in, and buying an additional set of wheels and tyres hardly seems worth it. I am a big fan of full slicks on a damp track, and move to wets when there is standing water. I think you would be better spending money on replacing your slicks and wet more often than going down the intermediate route.

Totally agree.

as an aside....

I compared my wets (old cut slicks that I got with the car) with nice new wets of a fellow 1100cc competitor. I was shocked at the difference. Lord knows how old my wets are! They were probably a family heirloom of the previous owner. I reckon that a lot of us run round on very old, hard wets.

Craig Powers, OMS2000m ZZR1100

Ian Johnson
07-12-09, 11:00
Thanks for your comments guys...........Slicks it is then

Ian Johnson
07-12-09, 12:02
Compound wise is a genuine Inter soft compound different to a Slick soft compound?

Craig Powers
07-12-09, 12:20
Compound wise is a genuine Inter soft compound different to a Slick soft compound?

In professional racing I am sure that the compunds will be optimised and different for wets, slicks, inters (subject to the formula rules) but in hillclimb & sprints I reckon it is just tread pattern.

When BMTR cut some inters for me many years ago they just used less grooves, maintained larger blocks of tread and didn't fully cut the pattern to the outside edges of the tyre on the basis that there was no standing water to shift.

Avon don't make any tyres softer than the A45's that most single seaters seem to use as front slicks.

A call to BMTR Comp Dept will confirm.

Craig Powers, OMS2000m ZZR1100

Bunman
07-12-09, 14:00
Hi Ian,
Are you racing a saloon or single seater??

If you are driving a saloon then I would have said that A15 compound in Avon is the ideal compound for most speed events, soft yet durable on a heavier car.
As for wet conditions then I am with Radical on this one. Slicks for me unless the track has standing or running water. (sometimes I just leave the slicks on even if there are lakes apearing but then I don't like getting wet changing them over!) (I just close my eyes :D )

Mind over matter in the wet :D

Ian Johnson
07-12-09, 14:10
Hi Ian,
Are you racing a saloon or single seater??

If you are driving a saloon then I would have said that A15 compound in Avon is the ideal compound for most speed events, soft yet durable on a heavier car.
As for wet conditions then I am with Radical on this one. Slicks for me unless the track has standing or running water. (sometimes I just leave the slicks on even if there are lakes apearing but then I don't like getting wet changing them over!) (I just close my eyes :D )

Mind over matter in the wet :D

Saloon Car,

Hasta
07-12-09, 14:23
Has anyone run Inters instead of slicks on dry/damp sprints? If so how did they compare

Ian

looking at your avatar picture I think you are going to need something more than intermediates to get across that . :D

Hasta

Craig Powers
07-12-09, 14:27
Avon don't make any tyres softer than the A45's that most single seaters seem to use as front slicks.

Just to clarify, I was only using single seater class as an example, because that's the class & tyres that I know. The point that I was making is that we run the softest compounds for our slicks so there is no softer tyre available for us to use as a wet or inter.

Obviously compunds are different for Saloons.

BMTR will be able to give you the full run down on Avon compounds.

I agree with LM, Radical, Bunman et al that inters are of questionable value.

Craig Powers OMS2000m ZZR1100

Ian Johnson
07-12-09, 14:28
looking at your avatar picture I think you are going to need something more than intermediates to get across that . :D

Hasta

:D God loves a tryer though