View Full Version : mixing tyres

sootyparrot
23-12-09, 20:03
hi all, any of you single seater drivers, mixing radials and cross plies or
tried it .

thanks

yobdab
23-12-09, 20:17
Not come across it on cars but I believe that motor cycle racers do it to overcome certain handling problems. Always radial rear, bias front.

Craig Powers
23-12-09, 21:10
hi all, any of you single seater drivers, mixing radials and cross plies or
tried it .

thanks

I would stick to the tyres and static camber that that the car was designed to run with.

If you just change the tyre type without taking static camber and camber change behaviour into account then you are probably heading for trouble and disappointment.

You are obviously running a Force from your other threads (ex BAR KONI dampers, monoshock front end). Bill Chaplin posts on this forum and I'm sure that Ian Dayson will also advise.

Craig Powers

DaveK
23-12-09, 22:36
The ex Darren Luke/Brodie branch Force PC ran radial fronts with cross ply rears, as they felt it was too nervous on radials all round and Darren liked how it gave more confidence at the back end as it was more progressive to slide.

47.6 up Loton shows that it worked in their case.

Dave

Fireblade
23-12-09, 23:43
Can't argue with that time Dave certainly seems to have worked.

Bunman
24-12-09, 00:28
I have used a mix of Crossply and Radial tyres on a saloon in the past to good effect. It is however a suck it and see approach as to whether it suits the car and driver combination.

morrich
25-12-09, 23:44
I have seen Gary Dickson mix the tyres on his Force on numerous occasions up in Scotland so he may be worth speaking to?

minitici
26-12-09, 11:27
I have seen Gary Dickson mix the tyres on his Force on numerous occasions up in Scotland so he may be worth speaking to?
I think Gary has used about every possible combination of Radial, crossply, wet and dry tyre on his Force - he is always quick and would probably still beat everyone if he fitted his trailer wheels and tyres :D

dennis.doyle
26-12-09, 12:11
... he is always quick and would probably still beat everyone if he fitted his trailer wheels and tyres :D

Hmmm, yes, I think there may be a flaw in following the front-runners setup - anyone fancy using Senna's or Schumacher's?

Getting back to the radials. I've heard before that they have quicker responses, are more "lively" or even "twitchy" than crossplies. That's enough to put me off - unless of course they are the only cheap, round, black things avaialable without the canvass showing.