PDA

View Full Version : best tyres in list 1a?

quigonjay
12-04-07, 04:13
hi guys, my first post here :)
just wondering what your opinions are to the above question?
i will be doing my first sprint soon, at either three sisters or aintree
i will be in the road productioin class so need a tyre from list 1a
my car is toyota mr2 turbo and the standard alloys are 15" so not much choice when it comes to tyres :(
i have toyo t1r on at the moment, should they be ok?
cheers
Jay

dennis.doyle
12-04-07, 07:34
hi guys, my first post here :)
just wondering what your opinions are to the above question?
i will be doing my first sprint soon, at either three sisters or aintree
i will be in the road productioin class so need a tyre from list 1a
my car is toyota mr2 turbo and the standard alloys are 15" so not much choice when it comes to tyres :(
i have toyo t1r on at the moment, should they be ok?
cheers
Jay

Hi Jay, no idea whether Toyos are best, but they'll certainly be OK for first event.

Best bet is to turn up & ask other competitors - roadmod should all be on 1As too. BTW do pop over & say hi at 3 Sisters or Aintree.

The Pugilist
12-04-07, 18:21
T1-Rs will be ok, although they are a little hard.

Stunner Scudos (don't laugh) have been the choice for the last couple of years as they are super soft. Interestingly they are useless after much more than a sprint as they do get a bit too hot.

Goodyear F1 GSD-3s are useful and from my experience very consitent over longer runs - but expensive.

Alpinepg
12-04-07, 23:05
Toyos will be fine, I ran them for 2 years on my Alpine and found them useful in wet and dry. Not tried Stunners, but I have heard good things about them and they are cheap....on the other hand if they are shot after one event then they arent worth it.......even a set of list 1b sticky tyres will do a 10 event season!!!!

Razorbill
13-04-07, 07:43
The roadgoing Caterfields are going on to Marangoni this year apparently. They're part of the same company as Stunner.

I always thought that Toyo's were a faily soft/grippy tyre...

R

Alpinepg
13-04-07, 09:06
I remember when Marangonis first came out about 10 years ago (maybe more......but things blur about 10 years back!!!!) and bought a set, they were good. They are made by Pirelli and are quite nice and soft, and about half the pirce of the equivalent Pirelli.

quigonjay
13-04-07, 19:45
thanks for the opinions guys
i'll give it a go on what i have and see what happens :)

The Pugilist
13-04-07, 19:55
Toyos will be fine, I ran them for 2 years on my Alpine and found them useful in wet and dry. Not tried Stunners, but I have heard good things about them and they are cheap....on the other hand if they are shot after one event then they arent worth it.......even a set of list 1b sticky tyres will do a 10 event season!!!!

Not shot after one event at all. 6 tyres lasted a whole season (20 events in 2006)

Performance just drops off on longer runs.

Alpinepg
13-04-07, 22:28
Interestingly they are useless after much more than a sprint as they do get a bit too hot.

Sorry.....that implied to me that they were knackered after one event!!!

alex237
19-07-07, 17:41
i was told toyo t1r s were about as good as id get in 1a,but im running a gt4 celica so am limited to sizes.
my mate runs bridgestone potenzas re80 s(i think)hes havin good results with them.
so what are the best?im in desperate need but would like to buy a set now for rain use,and t1rs are looking good for that-225 45 16,that too wide for t rain?

Rescue Dude
19-07-07, 18:45
They've stopped making T1-R's they now do a T1-S which isn't as good apparently.:(

alex237
19-07-07, 18:59
I think you've got that wrong way round.They've stopped making the T1s.

Rescue Dude
20-07-07, 09:26
Your absolutely correct i must read things before i post them.:o

Hillman
20-07-07, 11:00
I have been using Toyo T1s's for some time . They grip well wet or dry and I have been told that they are better in the wet than the T1r's. They are reasonably priced. I am told that they are not as good as the Marangonis. I do know that they will do a 5 day rally on the kit car without protest.

I think the T1s's are progressive & scream a lot before they let go, so I know where I am (or am not ).

alex237
31-07-07, 08:02
are dunlop sp 9000 s anygood?

Rescue Dude
01-08-07, 07:31
Can't say I've ever noticed anyone using them.

alex237
01-08-07, 07:49
well their cheap.and i can get em in 245 45 16 which gives me a good wide tyre,wen most people are running 225s max.i mite have to give em a go.

Rescue Dude
01-08-07, 08:00
Let us know what they're like.

alex237
30-08-07, 16:48
ended up with t1r s been brilliant,superb grip.not used em in the wet yet

siany1997
09-12-09, 12:32
Following on from this, does anyone have any experience with potenza 070's ? Going on spare rims for dry use, so no issues with road wear etc.

btcc93
09-12-09, 15:19
Marangoni ZetaLinea or Toyo T1R, I had T1S on a road car and they were great except on standing water, changed to T1R's and found the problem resolved.

carl_w
09-12-09, 21:06
AEMC are allowing List 1B in Roadgoing Production this year so I was thinking of going for some Maxxsport moulded slicks :)

Fireblade
25-02-10, 18:36
Who isn't allowing 1Bs?

Alpinepg
25-02-10, 20:57
Who isn't allowing 1Bs?

A group of midlands/north west clubs who decided in their wisdom that list 1 b type tyres were due to be outlawed by the EU so they would start by not allowing them this year. They forgot that lots of smaller tyre sizes have no decent 1a tyres available anymore. According to them, the MSA are all set to use their regs as the national template for next year!

The Bear
25-02-10, 21:46
Even if you can get a 1A tyre in the correct size have a look at the wear rates they are all higher (around 280+) because of new regs for road tyres....its about time all the championships got together and let modified road going use 1B's....

Fireblade
25-02-10, 23:12
A group of midlands/north west clubs who decided in their wisdom that list 1 b type tyres were due to be outlawed by the EU so they would start by not allowing them this year. They forgot that lots of smaller tyre sizes have no decent 1a tyres available anymore. According to them, the MSA are all set to use their regs as the national template for next year!

Well my sources tell me that as the Book says 1a & 1b that is how it is going to be.
Those clubs will look a bit silly methinks.

Alpinepg
26-02-10, 08:35
Try and tell them that...they have been pushing their regs to other clubs to get them taken up. I think Liverpool MC are at the centre of it. It means that some of the events the Wigton championship goes to will leave me in mod prod with 1b tyres.

MrsSJF
26-02-10, 08:54
The MSA have issued a statement requesting that all clubs who have restricted their road-going classes to 1A now change their regulations to include 1B without exception.

Fireblade
26-02-10, 11:01
Thank you Mrs SJF, thats what I was leading up to.

Have you got any face egg scrapers for our Northern cousins :)

MrsSJF
26-02-10, 12:23
Sadly Fireblade, they may have to wait a while for their egg scrapers. Stocks are depleting rather rapidly due the number I have ordered for the HSA; we had been 'pursuaded' to join the List 1A only group. :(

Steve Wilkinson
26-02-10, 13:22
... we had been 'pursuaded' to join the List 1A only group. :(

It would be interesting to find out who was the main influence not only on the HSA but also on the Northern Clubs.

;)

Radical
27-02-10, 19:27
Gag I run in Sports Libre, so no problem for me...