PDA

View Full Version : Video / Data Logging

Clive Austin
17-01-10, 10:16
I've been looking around at video / data logging kit and would welcome any views from the forum on the topic.

The Race Technology Video4+DL1 option seems very good but is currently two box (although the chap on the Autosport stand intimated there is a one box solution in the pipeline) whilst the Racelogic system seems more video than data focused and quite limited unless you start adding in lots of interface gubbins: I run a ZZR1100 so wouldn't have the latest ECU / CAN etc interfaces. The Lite version is also plastic and I wonder how suitable for a single seater. The main reason for getting a system is to focus on what I'm doing rather than detailed engine parameters - ideally without breaking the bank. I didn't spot any of the other systems (Aim, Motec, PI?) at Autosport.

From what I've seen so far, on balance I'm currently inclined to sit on the fence pending an integrated Race Technology product but thoughts would be much appreciated. Any firsthand expereince out there?

All the best.

C

LM Racing
17-01-10, 11:29
Clive

There wasanother link elsewhere on the site which discussed this very point. I have looked into this at some length, and have decided on the Aim evo 4 data logger. I thought the race technology kit was very good, but chose aim as it has higher sampling rates for data, but it also interfaces with most ecu's, therefore removing the need for additional sensors such as throttle position, as the info is taken straight from the ECU / data logging link.

Aim do there own camera pack, which is not cheap, but I run a stand alone camera. Having data flashing across the video screen is quite impressive, but I find that data analysis takes a bit longer than real time viewing.

camalot
17-01-10, 14:09
Chasecam have a new one out might be worth looking at there website

Clive Austin
24-01-10, 21:21
...and now for the next question. Has anyone worked out where on earth to squeeze the boxes in a single seater (OMS 2000M in my case).

C

SteveSlowboy
24-01-10, 23:13
I've got mine on the floor under my thighs (just behind the chassis cross member that the front lower wishbone rear pick-up points mount to) Strapped down and located with small alloy angle strips (I've got the chasecam with g force so it needs to be fairly rigidly fixed).

That way, I can reach down to switch it off after a run.

Steve

Clive Austin
27-01-10, 21:55
I've got mine on the floor under my thighs (just behind the chassis cross member that the front lower wishbone rear pick-up points mount to) Strapped down and located with small alloy angle strips (I've got the chasecam with g force so it needs to be fairly rigidly fixed).

That way, I can reach down to switch it off after a run.

Steve

That's where I was getting to Steve although do you not find yourself treading on the thing whilst climbing in and out of the car? I suspect it mght be the only option though, maybe with an ally plate to prevent continually kicking the wires about?

SteveSlowboy
27-01-10, 22:38
Clive, I've got a fibreglass seat insert that sits over the top of it (with an access hole) so I don't suffer this problem but it doesn't have to be central - you could put it over to one side or just be careful where you put those size 10's!