PDA

View Full Version : How do you jack up the rear of a single seater?

Nemesis
23-01-10, 22:00
I'm new to the single seater maintenance procedures, and i can't figure where the best jacking point is at the rear of the car? :o

Radical
23-01-10, 22:10
What you need is a quick lift like this one.

http://www.motorsportads.com/assets/products/6493-7107-40138.jpg

dennis.doyle
23-01-10, 22:19
I've got one of those. The only question is where should I stuff it? (Answers on toilet paper please.)

Seriously though, I have wondered, as single seaters don't have "jacking points". So far I've figured that, assuming the (Hewland?) gearbox is firmly attached to the engine, then you can put the jack in anywhere.

Nemesis
23-01-10, 22:29
Unfortunately i haven't got a quick lift yet, i'm using a low entry jack and i don't have a hewland box either! :(

Radical
23-01-10, 22:37
Assuming a MC engined car, then usually the rear cross member of the chassis or even under the centre of the car from the side/front again picking up a chassis member (using a Quick lift).

Not really critical, just avoid pinching brake lines or the suspension movement ect. and def. not on the engine sump.

It is common to have a jacking post protruding down through the undertray if fitted.

dennis.doyle
23-01-10, 22:40
Quick lifts are a must-have. Making DIY is dead easy if you have the dimensions - the only difficulty is giving them without pencil & paper.

Not having a Hewland, I'd suggest the sump (with a bit of padding). After all, these creations are featherweight - but best wait for a BEC person for really useful advice.

redturner37
23-01-10, 22:41
What you need is a quick lift like this one.

http://www.motorsportads.com/assets/products/6493-7107-40138.jpg Hey, thanks for that Radical, thats the one I produce, as used by Team Rats and other top hillclimbers....

dennis.doyle
23-01-10, 22:44
Oops - sounds like the sump was bad advice - still I reckoned it was a safer bet than the jacking points on my Fulvia:)

Nemesis
23-01-10, 22:46
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Also red turner, where can i buy one of your quick lifts?

redturner37
23-01-10, 22:48
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Also red turner, where can i buy one of your quick lifts? Sending PM

Radical
23-01-10, 22:54
The sump on the BEC would probably take the weight to lift the car, however they are very easy to damage and warp could easily cause oil leaks round the gasket.

In general engine mounts are designed to hold the engine down, jacking a car up on the sump is attempting to pull the engine up out of the car.

dennis.doyle
23-01-10, 22:54
I'm sure I can do one cheaper - plenty of toilet rolls & sticky-backed plastic left over from Christmas:)

redturner37
23-01-10, 22:56
Oops - sounds like the sump was bad advice - still I reckoned it was a safer bet than the jacking points on my Fulvia:)
Have you stopped taking the meds Dennis.....:D

dennis.doyle
23-01-10, 23:06
Yes, but the new ones are even better.