PDA

View Full Version : Yokohama Slicks

sevaun
27-01-10, 10:08
I'll be needing some new slicks later this season and I'm not looking forward to forking out around 800 for Avons. I read somewhere on here that Yokohama are now doing hillclimb slicks. I've googled the subject and come up with some info, but I'd prefer it to come from a source nearer to home. So has anyone any experience of:
1 Cost of Yoko slicks?
2 Best place to buy?
3 How good are they compared to Avons?
4 Are they radial or crossply?

Thanks

Sevaun

dave_samk11
27-01-10, 11:21
Have you thought about Hoosier's? not 100% sure if they are still around but they used to be cheaper and always worked well.

wight jr
27-01-10, 11:25
I have tried these other makes, foc, and tbo i think Avons are worth it.

Andy
27-01-10, 20:32
Hi Sevaun

I have run Yokohama slicks and wets on my Jedi for the last 5 seasons and will be doing so again in 2010

In answer to your questions :-

1 Cost of Yoko slicks?
Cheaper than Avons

2 Best place to buy?
mike@bridgetyres.co.uk

3 How good are they compared to Avons?
I haven't run Avons so can't compare, but they are really good tyres, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS_47CNqbLM) is my son on them at Kames.

4 Are they radial or crossply?
Currently crossply, however production is ceasing very soon and then radials only will be available. Mike estimates the crossplies will be available until the end of the 2011 season.

PumaWestie
27-01-10, 20:47
Hi Andy,

Can you point us to any info on compounds and sizes available on the net anywhere? Cant seem to find much or maybe you can give some detail? Out of interest, what sizes are you running and roughly how much cheaper than Avons are they?

Thanks

John

Andy
27-01-10, 21:45
[QUOTE=PumaWestie;32625]Hi Andy,

Can you point us to any info on compounds and sizes available on the net anywhere? Cant seem to find much or maybe you can give some detail? Out of interest, what sizes are you running and roughly how much cheaper than Avons are they?

There are 2 compounds available, soft, and I'm having difficulty remembering the other - Oh yeh, hard. Sorry but that is the only information on compounds.
When the weather is very hot (I remember that day well) the softs grain and lose traction even on the Jedi. You cannot overheat the hard compound, the hotter it gets the better it sticks.

I can't remember how much I paid for my tyres, it was nearly 2 years ago that I bought them.
Generally a set lasts a season double driving, but it's just been me driving this last 2 years except for Kames, so they've gone for 2 seasons.

Slick sizes - Even though the width & RR are in mm these are crossplies
Rear 225/515-13 Front 180/515-13

Wets
Rear 180/515-13 Front 160/515-13
:)

PumaWestie
27-01-10, 21:47
Thanks Andy

johnbull
28-01-10, 14:37
You may be interested in calling Motorsport Division at Fort Dunlop.

They have just started producing a new compound hill climb tyre at last, called the HC100. We have a couple of sets we plan to use this season, though I don't know what sizes HC100 is being produced in at the moment.

Dunlop HC100 compound tyres are in radial construction.

RobertT
28-01-10, 20:07
You may be interested in calling Motorsport Division at Fort Dunlop.

They have just started producing a new compound hill climb tyre at last, called the HC100. We have a couple of sets we plan to use this season, though I don't know what sizes HC100 is being produced in at the moment.

Dunlop HC100 compound tyres are in radial construction.

I wonder if some companies want to sell their products - I asked the chaps on the Dunlop stand at Autosport International only a couple weeks ago about the availability of Dunlop hillclimb compounds and they said they didn't do any! :confused:

Joshua
28-01-10, 21:32
The only problem with this new HC100 compound from Dunlop is that its only made in 280/570R13 & 230/535R13. Apparently they won the the Czech national hill climb championship with them in 2009.

Radical
28-01-10, 21:39
Before the Hill Climbers in UK get too exited it is worth remembering that the Czech (and Maltese?) Hill climbs are longer than most Sprints in the UK.

Not quite a like for like comparison.

Joshua
28-01-10, 21:50
Before the Hill Climbers in UK get too exited it is worth remembering that the Czech (and Maltese?) Hill climbs are longer than most Sprints in the UK.

Not quite a like for like comparison.

I wish our hill climbs here in Malta were much longer than the UK hills and even half as grippy than the UK hills but they're not, our hills here are all under 50 seconds!

I imagine the Czech hills are much longer, probably more like the beautiful Italian & Sicilian hills which I luckily manage to get to race on 2 or 3 times a year.

Anyway I'll let you all know how I get on with the HC100's once we run them.

PumaWestie
08-02-10, 15:01
Having made some enquiries via Andy Potter's contact, it would appear that Yokohama slicks are around 25% cheaper than Avons. Thanks Andy for the info