PDA

View Full Version : GSXR1100 oil starvation... Issue?

Adam
13-04-10, 15:40
I was just wondering if anyone on here had any experience of running the oil cooled GSXR1100 engine in a car? This is what i've fitted in my locost and was wondering if I was looking for oil starvation problems by fitting used slicks. I've heard that the massive oil system makes it quite resistant to oil starvation but only through word of mouth as i'm yet to meet someone actually running the engine!

will loughridge
13-04-10, 16:00
I ran the oil cooled gsxr1100 in my oms at the time, as long as you are using the original sump on the engine there shouldnt be any problems.

Adam
13-04-10, 16:25
I ran the oil cooled gsxr1100 in my oms at the time, as long as you are using the original sump on the engine there shouldnt be any problems.

Yep, still the original sump and a huge mocal oil cooler. Do you recon running it longitudinally rather than transversely (as in the OMS and bike) will make a difference?

Rob Stevens
13-04-10, 16:30
If longitudinally you could end up with all the oil in the rocker cover, good job roundabout's are clockwise! I used to overfill my oil cooled until it just started blowing it out of the breather, sort of found its own level.

Adam
13-04-10, 16:53
But surely you'd end up with the same situation under hard braking with a transverse engine?

Sounding promising all the same. Slight overfill and away we go!

Rob Stevens
13-04-10, 16:56
Think about it, you can't brake for that long can you, but round and round a rounderbout in a road car is easy, I can vouch for it! The oil cooled motor pumps a vast amount of oil through the head to keep it cool, hence my answer.

Adam
13-04-10, 17:06
Think about it, you can't brake for that long can you, but round and round a rounderbout in a road car is easy, I can vouch for it! The oil cooled motor pumps a vast amount of oil through the head to keep it cool, hence my answer.

I do see what you mean. Its not going on the road but the same issue could occur on long right handers on the track.

I've heard that these engines were popular in Mallocks at one point and they would have been run in the same configuration, would they have run any sort of baffling system?

Edmundo2
13-04-10, 19:56
Hi. Currently running said engine in our Jedi al be it in 1370cc big bore guise. Standard sump, two oil coolers, lots of aeroquip, no apparent problems with surge however do have a leak that only appears underload. Keep cleaning after runs but proving very hard to acertain where from. Currently eliminating one by one and think most likely sprocket seal? We've been advised if seal gone then bearing could also be on it's way out. Unsure whether this will require engine out/case split if neccessary? Any advise welcome.

SteveSlowboy
13-04-10, 22:12
I'm pretty sure it is a split-the-crank-cases job to change the sprocket bearing and seal.

Craig Powers
13-04-10, 22:21
I'm pretty sure it is a split-the-crank-cases job to change the sprocket bearing and seal.

Not certain about the Suzuki but on the Kawasakis the gearbox output shaft oil seal is pressed into a bolt-on gearbox side cover. The bearings are in the crankcase halves. So oil seal is easy; bearings needs to split the crankcases.

I have mine apart at the moment because the gearbox side cover cracked at Harewood. Hopefully will be repaired for Saturday at 3-Sisters.

Craig Powers

Craig Powers
13-04-10, 22:27

Engines with central cam chains have less problems and behave same in left or right turns.

Engines with cam chains at one end of the engine can accumulate a lot of oil in the head in long adverse bends. A couple of pints of oil can temporarily go missing from the sump. One fix is to add an extra external oil return from the undrained side of the head to counter this problem.

CP

Adam
14-04-10, 01:02
The gixer has a central cam chain IIRC :)