PDA

View Full Version : Brainwave... (Or maybe not...)

gsyracer
11-07-10, 18:29
I had this brainwave whilst fiddling about with my R/C car setting up the suspension...

Suspension springs are essentially a torsion bar wound up in a coil and rely on the material to twist under load to compress and then un-twist to expand the coil back to original shape.

I have noticed that on every car I have seen the springs are exactly the same in the direction it is wound.

I would have thought the springs would be wound in opposite directions to keep both sides balanced under the rotational force and theoretically stop the suspension components (wishbones) being twisted out of shape.

I know it will make a very minimal difference I just thought that if a car has equal corner weights and everything is symetrical as can be, why are the springs the only component that aren't sympetrical...

If somethings rotating right on both sides surely it can't be that good for balance?

I don't recall ever seeing a car with a set-up like that ever.

Hope this makes sense... I was quite high on the Methanol and whatnot being squeezed out of a tiny 3.4 cc engine pulling about 36,000rpm when I initially thought about it.

jo white
11-07-10, 18:52
Yep Gsy, and when in Australia its all back to front, even the swirl pots go in a different direction

Craig Powers
11-07-10, 19:10
I had this brainwave whilst fiddling about with my R/C car setting up the suspension...

Suspension springs are essentially a torsion bar wound up in a coil and rely on the material to twist under load to compress and then un-twist to expand the coil back to original shape.

I have noticed that on every car I have seen the springs are exactly the same in the direction it is wound.

I would have thought the springs would be wound in opposite directions to keep both sides balanced under the rotational force and theoretically stop the suspension components (wishbones) being twisted out of shape.

I know it will make a very minimal difference I just thought that if a car has equal corner weights and everything is symetrical as can be, why are the springs the only component that aren't sympetrical...

If somethings rotating right on both sides surely it can't be that good for balance?

I don't recall ever seeing a car with a set-up like that ever.

Hope this makes sense... I was quite high on the Methanol and whatnot being squeezed out of a tiny 3.4 cc engine pulling about 36,000rpm when I initially thought about it.

because:-
a) it won't make any difference,
b) it costs extra to manfucature and keep stock of 'handed' components