PDA

View Full Version : wet weather tyre width?

quigonjay
06-06-07, 07:17
assuming all same tread patterns, is a thinner or wider tyre better in the wet?
wider tyre with more grooves will disperse water quicker or is that not how it works?
also, is aquaplanning ever an issue on hillclimbs and sprints or would they cancel/try and remove it if there was standing water?
thanks
jay

Rescue Dude
06-06-07, 07:46
is aquaplanning ever an issue on hillclimbs and sprints or would they cancel/try and remove it if there was standing water?
thanks
jay

Yes it is. After doing everything humanly possible to remove standing water,meetings will and have been cancelled(Prescott and Gurston very recently) due to the obvious dangers involved.

blackx
06-06-07, 12:02
I would have thought a thinner tyre would be better (as in WRC where they all use pushbike tyres in the snow) but I stand to be corrected by someone who actually knows what they are talking about :D

RichardG
06-06-07, 12:24
Many, many years ago when I was a lad I saw some footage of Dunlop tests taken with a camera inside a glass rolling road showing how the contact patch reduced in wet conditions.:eek:

From my memories of that and my practical experience on wide and narrow road going tyres I would say wide tyres are more likely to aquaplane in wet conditions. Certainly the SL aquaplanes at speeds that don't bother the Peugeot 306.:cool:

alex237
19-07-07, 17:12
if ur hitting standing water id expect a wider tyre to aquaplane but if its just wet,would u still not get more grip with more contact?or would the narrowness put more pressure on the contact area?im curious too

FLoads
19-07-07, 17:45
At one of the recent very very wet i.e. steady rain, Shelsley meetings the bikes were generally getting off the line better and quicker than the cars.