Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > General > General Motorsport
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

General Motorsport Forum for the discussion of non speed event motorsport.

Old 06-09-17, 13:57

CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about
Tell me about motor homes for towing

Er Indoors has suggested getting a motorhome at the end of the year to drag the car and trailer to events with, but I know little about which are and aren't most suitable. Would like to spend £10k but looking online will probably end up nearer £15k. Looking at 4-6 berth with two growing kids. Doesnt need to be fancy as it'll only really be used to drag the car behind and the occasional extended long weekend when competing at Anglesey or some other far flung venue.
I've ruled out the 1.9td engined versions and have been looking at 2.8td chassis mainly but see there are some 2.5d and 2.5turbo diesel. I'm not looking for a rocket ship but would like summat that will tow a 450kg trailer and 800kg car up the inclines on way to Shelsley and Wiscombe etc without having to get out and push!

As many of you use campers and motor homes what's the advice and pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks in advance
Craig
Old 06-09-17, 14:27
Senior Citizen

redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough
Hi Craig, I run a FIAT Autosleeper Harmony camper van with a 1.9 tdi engine. However, my car and trailer don't weigh more than 750kgs and I have kept this and the length to a bare minimum to save on ferry costs and the whole lot is under 9 metres. The engine does struggle on some of the long hills in France but on the flat will happily cruise at 65, though tend to stick to 60 with consumption around 25mpg, though it has never been checked properly. It is supposedly a 2+2 berth wouldn't want to try it, so a coach built would probably be better for you bearing in mind the extra space it gives. I have a shower which is brilliant after a meeting....
Old 06-09-17, 16:27
Purr louder pussy cat

PumaWestie is on a distinguished road
Most motorhomes struggle up hills unless they have at least 130bhp. Forget anything non turbo and try to get something with 6 gears. The bigger the engine the better. Ive had a Fiat 2.8HDi (Peugeot and Citroen use the same motor) which was OK but only 5 speed and have weak gearboxes. Ive also had a FWD Transit 2.0 TDCI which was OK but again 5 speed and struggled with torque hence why a bigger engine would be better. 2.4 RWD transits are better and come with 140PS on some models plus a 6 speed box. Currently I have a 2014 reg 2.3 Fiat 130 Multijet which has 6 speed box and goes very well. Remapping or chipping adds a bit more but I haven't needed to do this with my current 2.3 which also returns 28 ish MPG when towing and 32 without.

Also watch the towing weight allowed on the chassis plate as some have very low towing capacities. FWD transits for instance only have 1000kg but my latest Fiat has 2000kg. RWD 2.4 transits have 2000kg capacity and became available around 2007 so should be in your budget range

Mercedes Sprinter 2.7 5 cylinder engines are a different league and have 160 bhp plus some Fiats come with 3.0 litre engines and 160 bhp
Old 06-09-17, 16:45

CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about
Red, Puma

cheers for the info. ive towed happily with vans before, but if the family are to come along and enjoy *our* hobby, then a coachbuilt is whats needed.
cheers for the info re transit, and gearing, id not thought about gearbox options, will add that to my 'wish list' :-)
don't want to commit 30k until we know its gonna work for us, it may only get used a few times and the wife and kids get fed up of the idea
Old 06-09-17, 17:48
Sondad Racing - Dad

jolibre will become famous soon enough
Check a suitable tow bar from a reputable supplier can be fitted and beware of a big overhang behind the rear axle as if its front wheel drive a trailer can reduce the traction of the front wheels
Old 06-09-17, 18:05

yobdab is on a distinguished road
Twelve years ago I took the advice of the Eyles brothers which was if you are buying a motorhome only for motorsport get an American one. I have never regretted it. Electric everything & tow at whatever speed you want with 300bhp and 10mpg. Who said motorsport was supposed to be cheap!
Old 06-09-17, 19:09

whimsy is on a distinguished road
The 3 litre engine from Fiat, with a Quantum remap, gives 200bhp and 500Nm of torque. AND it gives better mpg than standard. This really is good for towing. When we traded our Autocruise through Roger Moran for a replacement Swift he test drove the Autocruise and was so impressed he got Scott to come out of the office and try it!
The 2.8 JTD engine also remaps very well - again by Quantum - and Caravan Guard insurance just ask you to tell them; there is NO insurance loading.
The remap costs about £275 and is money VERY well spent.
Old 06-09-17, 20:53

tuner01 is on a distinguished road
We at Team Dora tow a bloody heavy trailer and Dora ( Vw Lupo mod road so not lighter than 800 kg ) with a 2.8 ditd Ducato Autotrail , not quick but 60 on motorway and keep an eye on slopes they catch you out of boost , we were at Wiscombe last weekend no problem ( unlike Epynt where we were down to first up the dual carriageway !! ) west wales no probs . did try a clubman trailer and was much nicer ( half the way of ours at 450 kg )
Old 06-09-17, 21:45

Nick Skidmore will become famous soon enough
How about hire?

Try a different type every time until you decide.

Might be dead money but cheaper than the wrong choice or buying a sh***er.
Old 06-09-17, 23:25

webby will become famous soon enough
Isn't it difficult to find one to hire with a tow bar fitted??