Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > General > General Motorsport
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

General Motorsport Forum for the discussion of non speed event motorsport.

Old 07-09-17, 10:23
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
I'm at the same point Craig, not at all enjoying sleeping in the trailer, but don't want a Transit/VAN as the daily driver. No room to store a Motorhome, nor the appetite to drive/own one.

Before embarking on a purchase, how about hiring something for the weekend, shoving the wife and kids inside, and see if they'll even buy in to the 'lifestyle'? It may work out cheaper in the long run.
Old 07-09-17, 10:36

CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about
thanks for the replies so far Chaps, much appreciated.

with regards to hire, we have a touring caravan which the family like (not me, PITA!) so im pretty sure a motorhome is what we need and then the caravan can go, although I have looked at hiring, but hire fleets are usually 2-3 yrs old max, so whilst it may confirm the requirement, they all have different engines and transmissions than my budget allows for.
Old 07-09-17, 10:50
British Sprint Champ09/10

Nick A is on a distinguished road
I was in the same boat 10 years ago, but had been using a Mazda Bongo for a few years, so had a bit of appreciation of it all. Also had been caravaning in my childhood so knew a bit about what to look for.
I bought a Burstner on a Merc Sprinter chassis with the 5 cyl, 2.7 ltr turbo diesel, rear wheel drive ( good if you can get it) had it re-mapped. Been excellent over that time, does over 20mpg. Have happily cruised along motorways at a normal speed for a company car ,it doesn't notice hills, they are just minor irritants. Great German build quality. Probably lost between £ 500 / £ 1000 year in depreciation. Looked at changing it a couple of years ago and just couldn't buy anything close to this spec without spending a fortune ie 80 to 100K
Old 07-09-17, 22:08

andy97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNHSS1 View Post
thanks for the replies so far Chaps, much appreciated.

with regards to hire, we have a touring caravan which the family like (not me, PITA!) so im pretty sure a motorhome is what we need and then the caravan can go, although I have looked at hiring, but hire fleets are usually 2-3 yrs old max, so whilst it may confirm the requirement, they all have different engines and transmissions than my budget allows for.
Beaver tail car transporter for the car and to tow the caravan?
Old 07-09-17, 22:45

paul martin is on a distinguished road
Hi, I had a Hymer fiat 2.3 with a tow bar rated at 2 t and the camper badged to 3500 kg.
The problem is finding one that's been rebadged with a suitable tow bar. It took me six months to find the one I did. I rang and emailed lots of traders and only one got back to me saying that the Hymer had just come in on a trade in.
Old 09-09-17, 20:54

Martin.G is on a distinguished road
Craig, pm me if you wish.I have 2.8 fiat tdci 6/7 berth that may interest you.
Martin.g