Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > General > General Motorsport
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

General Motorsport Forum for the discussion of non speed event motorsport.

Old 24-12-17, 09:39

learnerdrive is on a distinguished road
Nut gun recommendations

I'm after an electric wheel nut gun for occasional use a race car and very occasional use on other mechanical issues. I don't need top of the range. Any recommendations?
Old 24-12-17, 11:10

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Get a Clarke from Machine Mart then. Had no trouble.
Old 24-12-17, 11:52

Biggles will become famous soon enough
The Clarke one I bought nearly 9 years ago has just died (the charger won't charge so kind of perfomance limiting) so not a bad innings given I've used it a reasonable amount.
Old 24-12-17, 12:32

Edmundo2 is on a distinguished road
I have a Clarke one that's now surplus so would sell. Bought it when we owned the Jedi but no longer required as Force is on centre locks. Cracking thing with loads of go in it and had very little use. PM me if of interest and can agree a sensible price, ( postage poss a factor as quite heavy ). Cheers, Ed
Old 24-12-17, 14:12

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
Is it purely for wheel nuts, or anything bigger ?

And to undo those nuts ( at what torque ? ) without manually undoing first, or are you happy to ease the pressure first ?

If to undo from full torque, usually you do need to go quite big to ensure it'll always get the job done.

Also handy/cheaper if you have existing battery tools...to get a unit that can share the same batteries.
Old 24-12-17, 14:51

AlexChard is on a distinguished road
I have a Clarke, about 4 or 5 years old.
It's not the most powerful, so I crack the wheel nuts loose first.
Doing them up again is ideal, as it's usually just under the correct torque setting.
Old 24-12-17, 15:57

Nick Skidmore will become famous soon enough
I already had a Dewalt leaf blower that had a 5Ah Lithium XRT battery and charger so I bought the Dewalt 1/2" rattle gun as a tool only for £160. It is the same thing as the MAC Tools Big Bertha.

It is very impressive, 3 torque settings from just nipped to about 600nm battery lasts for ever and does things the air powered one cant.
Old 24-12-17, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Is it purely for wheel nuts, or anything bigger ?

And to undo those nuts ( at what torque ? ) without manually undoing first, or are you happy to ease the pressure first ?

If to undo from full torque, usually you do need to go quite big to ensure it'll always get the job done.

Also handy/cheaper if you have existing battery tools...to get a unit that can share the same batteries.
So what sort of power would I be looking for to undo from full torque? Any examples of models you can think of?

Not sure if my small Makita batteries would be man enough.

If its far cheaper to go for a small gun I may go that route, but every now and then a heavy duty gun is useful. I struggled to remove a clutch basket from an R1 until the local garage gave it a flick with their windy gun.
Old 24-12-17, 17:58

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
And what is "full torque" for whatever you are wanting to undo ?

I've a relatively lightweight 18v Metabo, at a push it will just about undo a wheel nut torqued up to around 80lbft ( and greased ).
I didnt buy it as a powerful ujnit though, just for spinning the nuts off and a general tool to have, but also one that used existing batteries from my drill etc.

So in general, my wheel nuts need manually done a little first, then spun off. They do more powerful guns but I just didnt feel I needed to spend the extra.

For powerful...Snap On, Milwaukee, Makita etc. 18v and upwards. But for a very good one you're really talking £3-400 upwards
But get a good one and it will be as powerful as a lot of air guns. However..powerful also means pretty big and heavy too.

My small Metabo isnt really bigger or heavier than an average cordless drill. They do more powerful units too....again, just didnt feel I needed them.

Also, dont overlook battery performance too...big batteries are never a bad thing, 3, 4, 5Ah.

eg likes of this would have good power.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milwaukee-H...+impact+wrench

A friend has a big Snap On, not sure what model but it really is a beast. Although for just wheels you really wouldnt need such a thing, unless they were maybe large centre locks or something

But whatever torque you think you might need to undo...IMO pick a unit that's claiming at least double that and maybe then some.
Old 24-12-17, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
And what is "full torque" for whatever you are wanting to undo ?

I've a relatively lightweight 18v Metabo, at a push it will just about undo a wheel nut torqued up to around 80lbft ( and greased ).
I didnt buy it as a powerful ujnit though, just for spinning the nuts off and a general tool to have, but also one that used existing batteries from my drill etc.

So in general, my wheel nuts need manually done a little first, then spun off. They do more powerful guns but I just didnt feel I needed to spend the extra.

For powerful...Snap On, Milwaukee, Makita etc. 18v and upwards. But for a very good one you're really talking £3-400 upwards
But get a good one and it will be as powerful as a lot of air guns. However..powerful also means pretty big and heavy too.

My small Metabo isnt really bigger or heavier than an average cordless drill. They do more powerful units too....again, just didnt feel I needed them.

Also, dont overlook battery performance too...big batteries are never a bad thing, 3, 4, 5Ah.

eg likes of this would have good power.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milwaukee-H...+impact+wrench

A friend has a big Snap On, not sure what model but it really is a beast. Although for just wheels you really wouldnt need such a thing, unless they were maybe large centre locks or something

But whatever torque you think you might need to undo...IMO pick a unit that's claiming at least double that and maybe then some.
That's brilliant. many thanks.

I've got a Makita drill but the battery is only 1.3 Ah and 24Wh. The Makita impact wrenches I've found take a different type of battery.