Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Sprint > Club Sprint
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-08, 14:07

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by minitici View Post
Steve - er.. what about Kames (Muirkirk) in North Britain
In my earlier post I was actually quoting the Shenstone & District propaganda that appeared in Motorsport News recently. It is they that are unaware of anything that goes on outside of the confines of the Boghole.

By the way there is also Llandow! You might also include MIRA. Both would qualify on the same basis as Curborough!

Old 04-04-08, 14:09
Spectacularly admonished

iranoff will become famous soon enough iranoff will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo white View Post
Abingdon is a good venue and is quite vast,

Any trouble with the neighbours at Abingdon? Remember that Curborough is used by small groups of competitors for testing during the week and it would be good if any potential replacement venue could do the same.

Iranoff
Old 04-04-08, 14:11

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Interesting bit on the radio earlier regarding the Eco village news. Apart from the old dear saying 'I don't know what one is, some new fangled invention' there was a chap with some interesting comment about the criteria for their situation. One particular point he made was that they should not be near a main highway and that somewhere like Fradley would be too near to the A38. Maybe Curborough may not make the shortlist!
Old 04-04-08, 14:17
jo white

jo white is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by iranoff View Post
Any trouble with the neighbours at Abingdon? Remember that Curborough is used by small groups of competitors for testing during the week and it would be good if any potential replacement venue could do the same.

i doubt it as its still a funtional low key RAF base, they do hold a clubbie June sprint there (which i think is called carnival) which also doubles up as a rally stage the day before, as well as that they hold a few track days, it does have huge run off areas for when it all goes wrong
Old 04-04-08, 17:05

n500 is on a distinguished road
One venue that is being considered as a potential sprint venue by a couple of clubs is Shakespeare County Raceway @ Long Marston.

Plenty of room there and good facilities. Unfortunately it's also on the so-called eco town list.

If anyone is interested in their club or championship using Shakespeare County have a look here and contact Gerry or Glenn. It has a track licence for 12 weekends a year if I remember correctly.

You could even watch the drag racing while waiting for your run....

http://www.apira.org.uk/

Neil
Old 04-04-08, 17:23
Spectacularly admonished

iranoff will become famous soon enough iranoff will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by n500 View Post
One venue that is being considered as a potential sprint venue by a couple of clubs is Shakespeare County Raceway @ Long Marston.

Plenty of room there and good facilities. Unfortunately it's also on the so-called eco town list.
And aren't the locals getting themselves organised to fight the proposal!

Incidentally Wikipedia say this about Abingdon.
The station was closed in December 1992. It was taken over by the British Army and renamed Dalton Barracks. RAF Benson continues to use Abingdon as a diversion airfield and for helicopter training. 612 Volunteer Glider School continues to fly Grob motorgliders at Abingdon. It lets members of the Air Cadets take part in flying, such as basic Gliding Induction Course (which normally lasts 3 flights), then for cadets over 16 to progress onto a Gliding Scholarship, which over a number of weeks lets cadets learn to fly the aircraft. This culminates in them undertaking in a solo circuit at the controls of the aircraft. Cadets can then take a longer course which includes navigational skills and advanced flight techniques. This leads to a higher class of Scholarship wings.

So it is closed as an RAF base, but still quite active. I looked at it on Google Earth and could see where the annual grass track racing was held on the western perimeter. There is no date for any meeting there this year. A grass track meeting would be noisier than a sprint, believe me.

Iranoff
Old 04-04-08, 22:32
jo white

jo white is on a distinguished road
meeting for 2008 is June 7th. www.scmc.co.uk
Old 05-04-08, 17:38

33JOY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by n500 View Post

Neil
I was there a couple of weekends ago with my younger daughter for an Under 17 Car Club meeting. I've also visited a few times when competing on historic road rallies as it has been used for a number of special tests.

Although it's a pretty good venue, and has the opportunity for a decent mileage around its old runways and access roads, I suspect that there would be a few grumbles about the state of the road surfaces from sprinters more used to the good quality tarmac found at regular venues. However, where there's a will....

Peter
Old 05-04-08, 20:49
Senior Citizen

redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough
No runways at the 'Boghole'.
Old 13-04-08, 16:32
Frequently Admonished

blackx will become famous soon enough
According to information received today Curborough will be no more within 2 years...