Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 30-09-17, 20:41

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Lola, as an old codger with a 20 year old Jedi I have never expected a level playing field as you appear to be suggesting, I am putting myself in the constructors shoes trying to sell a new car when fitted with its crash structures, wheel tether etc when last years basically similar was cheaper and lighter. Just look how much weight GrahamB removed from his Mygal during his project build to get the idea of what is involved and do we really need these safety measures, no research or study information appears to exist to support the need for any of the changes that were brought up in the 2015 meeting.
John
Old 30-09-17, 21:20

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
I was responding team knife edge.

If new rules for tethers etc are being consulted on, then their introduction will have to be 12 months on due to cars in construction?
Old 01-10-17, 07:00

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolat492 View Post
I was responding team knife edge.

If new rules for tethers etc are being consulted on, then their introduction will have to be 12 months on due to cars in construction?
If these items are introduced and some MSA committee members have expressed their wish to slow down bike engine cars, then what easier way to slow cars than by making them heavier in the name of safety? If we were interested to buy a top class bike engine car we would be looking to buy the lighter previous year car to be more competitive, I would suggest the only way the MSA could have "parity" between older and newer cars would be to have a minimum class weight to bring earlier cars up to the level of newer cars with "improved safety measures"
If this were proposed it opens another big bag of worms, if you were to add ballast(100kg??)to the earlier car that is sub 300kg in weight, load bearing parts now are more stressed than before,not such a good idea in the name of safety??
I don't know current French regs, but a few years ago I used to get copies of their equivalent to SpeedScene and small single seat race cars were 1400cc with a minimum weight around 400kg and nowhere near so quick as our 1100 class cars,
John
Old 01-10-17, 08:39

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
Yes, that would be a tricky turn of events and easy to see coming into play.
Shedding more weight out of the 1100 cars to compensate for any added parts will be tricky I would think, but part of the game.
Old 01-10-17, 09:50

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolat492 View Post
I was under the impression that anything new in the way of regulations had to be fully discussed by the MSA and then a consultation period. Any changes then could not take place for a further 12 months. That would surely mean that any changes could not be implemented until at least 2020 given the late date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMcD View Post
That would be a very large quantity of people inc me.
How could they know who these people would be ?
The MSA Speed Committee should be able to ascertain (a) those people with 'specials', and (b) those with 'specials' under construction. After all they are all active within the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kano nordie View Post
Dan better you have an idea of what is in the MSA mind and in this case hopefully constructors will be united and tell the MSA the increase cost for grass roots motorsport and rather unnecessary "improvements" to safety are not really needed in our events.
I suspect the last thing on the MSA's mind is the knock-on effect on the costs of participating in "grass roots motorsport". As they inhabit their ivory tower the Blue Blazers are totally unaware of how much competitors have to scrimp and save to take part in their events.
Old 01-10-17, 10:20

Edmundo2 is on a distinguished road
Seems to me that changes can be imposed without any foundation which is crackers, ( unlike HANS which I thought was well documented and positive ).

Motorsport is dangerous and reasonable precaution should be taken but the ROPS thing was a nonsense and any talk of wheel tethers would equally be. Maybe I've missed something but where are the cases suggesting this is required? Running one car at a time means the risk of side impact is much reduced too vs circuit racing.

Seems to me some of the hills are way more questionable than the cars that run up them but the answer we are arriving at is to evolve the cars into heavy padded boxes. At least we can look forward to winning Darwin Awards if not class records.

I'd think it's wise to close the thread..
Old 01-10-17, 12:41
Not-so-slowboy

SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough
Need to stop all this what-if bollocks. Ideas bounced around a room during a meeting does not equate to proposed rule changes.
More important is that the MSA do now at least appear to be wanting to involve the constructors - a good thing.

As for level playing field - doesn't exist. Find another sport if that's what you want.

Minimum weights? - again irrelevant and not a viable (or indeed safe) solution. When will folk realise that car performance is a combination of many more aspects than just weight.

Conjecture as to what may or may not be up for dicsussion is a pointless exercise. If you're full of ideas go speak to your car's constructor as they have a much better understanding of what is possible or indeed advantageous.

Now, can we perhaps focus on what in my opinion is a far more important area for change; the tracks we compete on. We've see a few big accidents again this year, in a variety of types and weights and designs of cars; what's the commom denominator? The tracks have not evolved at the rate needed to keep up with the performances possible with modern hillclimb cars - of ALL types.

Steve
Old 01-10-17, 13:19
Senior Citizen

redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough
Why would you want to alter tracks, apart from making sure the surface was always in good order. There are some tracks that I would not compete on, simply because as far as I am concerned, they are dangerous and my b*lls aren't big enough. One particular hill and must be a favorite of yours is Doune. You couldn't pay me enough to go there, even watching videos of the quick guys scares me. However, if you make it wider I will bring my car up. It's all horses for courses, if you don't think it is safe, don't go, plenty more will.....
Old 01-10-17, 13:49
Not-so-slowboy

SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough
Sorry - poor wording. I mean the venues - not specifically the track surface;

Such as types of barriers being used - if at all
Armco / recticell / bales - what's being used and where.
Where do you (and car) end up if you make a mistake / something breaks?
Spectator safety (which let's face it is the MSA's main concern in this litigation society of ours)

Red37 - there are venues where i feel less comfortable going 9/10's and beyond, but Doune isn't one of them; I feel the barrier work completed by the club there over the last few years addresses the risks to a level I'm happy to drive to.
Old 01-10-17, 20:09

wight jr will become famous soon enough
The last MSA meeting I thought was productive, I know there was outcry over the ROPS but I feel very happy that my ROPS are now certified and I didn't have to change the construction of them to pass, only deflected 17mm of the 50mm allowed, so we were doing it right and feel happy that the MSA now have proof of that...
As for what is next, I don't know... their was other things mentioned at the previous meeting but they were thought to be to difficult to police. I'm looking forward to attending the next meeting and all for addressing track safety, we can, in one fail swoop ensure a safer environment for every class of vehicle without upsetting the minority, remember it's not just in the 1100cc racing car class where records have been broken, it's happened in the Road car class and Mod class to name a couple. IT'S THE SPORT WE ARE IN, TO MAKE A OUR CARS GO AS FAST AS WE CAN NO MATTER WHAT CLASS WE ARE IN....ITS RACING..