Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-17, 15:20

ycagfys is on a distinguished road
another rops querry

im after some clarification, about to start building a spaceframe mini 1000cc bike engine in the rear with fiberglass shell and drivers seat in the centre of the car.
so the way I see it is a sports libre ?
the blue book says k1.6.3 which is single seater 42x2.5 but describes a hoop behind the driver,so not really appropriate for my build.
sports racing car is 48x2.5 (so what is a sports racing car)
alternately under minimum requirements mandatory member 46x2.5 and other bars 38x2.5 ,so how much is mandatory for a spaceframe mini obviously I want to build the car as light as possible but will need a passport so need to build it to conform to the blue book for sprint and hill climb.
ps I have email'd the msa with these questions but have had no reply in over 3 weeks so hopeing someone can shed some light for me
thanks neil
Old 01-12-17, 15:37
Senior Citizen

redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough
Simple answer re the MSA, they wont give an answer because they may decide to change the rules next week. I would go through all the past post :@UHR and check out the other cars that have been built and get some first hand info from people who have done it...You need to see a few before you start hacking into expensive tubing.....
Old 01-12-17, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturner37 View Post
Simple answer re the MSA, they wont give an answer because they may decide to change the rules next week. I would go through all the past post :@UHR and check out the other cars that have been built and get some first hand info from people who have done it...You need to see a few before you start hacking into expensive tubing.....
I have been reading a lot of the posts ref rops but not really found anything relating to the car im building.
even my local scrutineer is reluctant to give me any advice
Old 01-12-17, 17:39

RennyT will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycagfys View Post
I have been reading a lot of the posts ref rops but not really found anything relating to the car im building.
even my local scrutineer is reluctant to give me any advice
You might find few are willing to give advice, as we are all a bit confused and wary after last year.

I'd suggest you phone the Technical Department and speak to someone such as John Ryan. No guarantee of any success though.

I'd also ask why you are following that design path, and ask yourself why there aren't many other cars like that competing in Speed events...
Old 01-12-17, 21:51

Mike Wood is on a distinguished road
Worth looking at circuit racing space-framed special saloons (silhouettes) for inspiration, e.g. Maguire Minis (and other space-framed Minis) and space-framed Hillman Imps and Sunbeam Stilettos, e.g. http://www.specialsaloons.co.uk/the-cars/4582130545 & http://www.motorsport-fanatic.co.uk/...ialGT-imp.html

Also speed event sports libre cars such as the Jedi Sunbeam Stiletto. As well as Maguire Minis competing in speed events such as the two cars in NI run by Rudi Gage and Roger Gage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFYvdqiqJ_E

You would probably need to have a driver's seat to one side rather than central so that the car could be deemed a four seater (or a two-seater if you are basing your silhouette on a sports car body).

NB some of the above cars will be historic, so perhaps different roll bar tubing diameters rather than if built now.

Another thought - any Z cars Minis competing? What about: http://www.ultimini.co.uk/?

Cheers
Mike
Old 01-12-17, 22:27

Mike Wood is on a distinguished road
also see: https://www.BTDBTDBTDBTDBTDBTDBTDBTD...4507823567459/
Old 01-12-17, 22:49

dan mason will become famous soon enough
Bike engine in a mini is sports libre.
Chris Thomas ran a z cars mini with a tuned busa before he got the oms sc,and there is a turbo busa mini competing up north as well. Both in libre on slicks
Old 02-12-17, 12:10

what difference to class of vehicle will the drivers seat make being central.the reason for central is oviously better weight distribution but is that not allowed in sports libre ?
Old 02-12-17, 12:28

dan mason will become famous soon enough
It never used to be allowed but I'm sure that it is now as there is radical pr6's in class which have central seat.
I think They have put a minimum width cockpit measurement in place to stop single seaters putting cycle wings on and competing in libre.
But knowing the msa -I wouldn't be surprised if they bring back the non central seat regulation at some point.
Old 02-12-17, 12:34

david.seaton will become famous soon enough david.seaton will become famous soon enough
The way the regs currently stand you could put cycle wings on a single seater and call it a Sports Libre car.
Sports Libre used to have cockpit width restrictions and a requirement not to sit in the centre, but over the years these have been dropped.
By definition, Sports Libre is a category designed to cover everything that does not fit elsewhere - a single seater by definition has open wheels - cover the wheels and it no longer fits that category, so gets put in Sports Libre.
Barmy, but that is how it is !