Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > Overseas Hillclimb
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Overseas Hillclimb A forum for members from the far flung outposts of the Empire to post in.

Old 19-09-17, 16:32

kartaphilos is on a distinguished road
Should I take my race cars to Oz??

A question for the Aussie folk on here.

After 18yrs in the UK I'll be returning to Oz and settling in the Melbourne area. I've got to make a decision on my race cars and whether to sell them or bring them with me.

I run a Radical PR6 in Sports Libre class in speed events in the UK and the occassional run in circuit races. I also have a single seater (Force PC with supercharged hayabusa) that's currently in 'project' status.

I'v had a look at the CAMS site and a couple of the series regulations and have a few questions.

Speed events:
It looks like the PR6 will run in the same class as single seaters. Am I correct there? How fast are the hills in Vic, are they stop starty or do that have decent corner speeds (PR6 is at a definite disadvantage on the stop-start stuff.

I had a look at a couple of event results of the Vic Supersprint series and it looks like only road cars run in those events. Regs suggest race cars can run but is this not the done thing?

The Force needs to be remapped following an engine rebuild. Am I correct in assuming methanol is not permitted in Oz and E85 would be a more suitable choice. Is E85 choice free or is there a control fuel?

Circuit racing aka roundy roundy racing:
I've contacted the organiser for the Australian Prototype series (http://www.prototypeseries.com.au/) and he thnks he can accomodate the PR6 in a suitable class. Does anyone have experience of this championship? How well supported, driving standards, etc. I'm not too keen on racing against young chaps who think they will be in F1 next week.

Is there any other racing series that would suit the PR6 (The Radical series is SR3 only).

Importing vehicles:
I've been going through the vehicle importing guide on the govt website (https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicl...mport_options/) and getting paper work together for a non-road import. How clean does a vehcle need to be to get past an AQIS inspection? Are we talking full strip down and rebuilt to get rid of any dirt in hard to reach places or will a decent clean be ok? Any general advice on shipping the vehicles over?

Thanks for reading. I know there is a fair bit there and a bit rambling but any thoughts greatly appreciated.

btw - We fly into Melb in mid-Dec (~11th).. are there any events or club nights on in Dec and Jan in the Melbourne area?

Cheers,
Matt
Old 19-09-17, 18:10
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like a good plan Matt, give some one else a crack at the top step, lol. I watched that Border Agency thingy programme on t.v and several trailers with world rally type cars arrived from New Zealand, I think. All they seemed to do was make them give the cars a good steam clean to get rid if any live stock that might be clinging on hoping for a new life in Oz.....
Old 19-09-17, 18:17

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Going into New Zealand is even tighter. They are scared stiff of any wood or even carrying wood or soil. A carpenter friend of mine who went there was ran all around the block with his tools.
Old 19-09-17, 18:20
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
So don't even think of trying to import an old Marcos.....
Old 19-09-17, 18:35

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Or a Morgan
Old 20-09-17, 11:19

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Contact sr3rad he is in Oz
John
Old 20-09-17, 13:21

iainleinster is on a distinguished road
also Darcia1
Old 20-09-17, 13:37

sevaun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kano nordie View Post
Contact sr3rad he is in Oz
John
Correct and when he emigrated a couple or three years back he took his Empire over with him so he has experience of Exporting and shipping cars to OZ.
I'm sure he'll be along soon to advise.

Rich
Old 20-09-17, 17:32

paul martin is on a distinguished road
Didn't he have to sell it as it didn't fit into class ?
Old 20-09-17, 21:26

sevaun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul martin View Post
Didn't he have to sell it as it didn't fit into class ?
No Paul I think Graham found the local hillclimb tracks agricultural and the Empire was shaking itself (and him!!) to bits - I believe that's why he sold it on and then built a Birkin Clubmans....and now running an Elise very succesfully I might add!

Rich