Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Sprint > Club Sprint
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 27-09-17, 14:12

shiftspark is on a distinguished road
Longtons Anglesey sprint 13/14 Oct new practice trial

I have just received an email informing us of a new practice session to do away with the normal 2 practice runs called "Group Module Practice Sessions" This should then give more time for competitive timed runs.
I am all for more timed runs and this looks like a great idea which is basically you are in small groups and run a 10/15 min session and then into timed runs. My only concern is overtaking is allowed on the straights.
Surely this could get interesting with people pushing to run it at higher speeds especially if you know the circuit well and are running with people who have never run at the event before?
Has this been done before at events ? I have been on track days where its called "duck and drakes' but over taking is not allowed.
Old 27-09-17, 14:48

Adam is on a distinguished road
I think it's a pretty poorly thought through idea. No mirrors, indicators, brake lights, rain lights etc.

Plus changing the regs 2 weeks before the event is due to happen, after b&bs etc are booked with no consultation with those already entered.
Old 27-09-17, 16:17

crwoost is on a distinguished road
It can be pretty challenging at an Experience day at somewhere like Thruxton when numerous cars are on track at various parts of the circuit being run at varying speeds. We have a strict no overtaking rule without permission (use of indicators) and we are watching our mirrors as much as looking forwards. Even with that, tricky situations can occur- it will be very challenging for those without mirrors and or novices getting caught by experts. I'm shuffling uncomfortably in my seat just thinking about it....
Old 27-09-17, 17:03

Martin F is on a distinguished road
How many cars will now need to be modified to comply with the Technical Regs ?

See section S.10.2.1 (b)
(b) Laminated windscreens, lamp glass security and rear view mirrors are not required unless specified in SRs or where there is a possibility of one car overtaking another.
Old 27-09-17, 17:53

Edmundo2 is on a distinguished road
Yep I received it too. Good that they are progressive thinkers and trying to provide the best they can for customers etc but I too am not comfortable/convinced on it for the reasons mentioned. No mirrors is a big issue with quick single seaters all sharing the same space surely?
Old 27-09-17, 19:06

shiftspark is on a distinguished road
The cars should be in batches of similar cars and speeds etc and single seaters will all have progressed through the classes so no novices but as you say I am not sure if they all have mirrors etc and what impact that will have.I would also imagine the single seaters will have vastly different straight line speeds , 170+ for John Graham at Aintree i am to believe.
Perhaps someone from Longton could explain a bit more in detail here so as to cut down on all the questions to speed up the day at Anglesey ?
Old 27-09-17, 19:09

gixxerthou is on a distinguished road
I really am not happy with this.
Old 27-09-17, 21:52

Gunnie is on a distinguished road
They do need to change things as with only having 1timed run last year was not good especially when it’s cost you ¬£135
Old 27-09-17, 22:36

vision89 is on a distinguished road
Unless all cars are running with mirrors this could mean a few close shaves unless no overtaking rule is applied ,Javelin run a similar method but it's a strict convoy with no over taking .
Old 27-09-17, 22:40

Nigel Fox is on a distinguished road
We had two practice and two timed runs on each day last year.