Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Projects Forum for the discussion and showing of Uphill Racers members projects

Old 17-11-16, 20:24

KBS-CVT is on a distinguished road
Early Christmas Presents

The two V8 engines arrived from the USA today and are in better condition than I had anticipated considering they are 1986 vintage. Took one head off and NO wear on bores. Both will be stripped out and best parts used to build one "Development" engine to instal in the car and see how the concept works.
I am limited to two picture uploads per post , so more posts follow.

WOW the pistons are big at 3.5(90mm) inch diameter. Look at the size of the exhaust ports, there are 3 rectangular ports shown in one picture. The 8 inlet ports look accommodating for for lots of fuel!

THENthe CVT transmission also arrived from the USA - these are masterpieces of engineering and I hope that the final layout enables me to show these units to the interested parties.

Now I need to finish off two other projects before I can get stuck into the V8 project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0480.jpg (98.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0481.jpg (113.1 KB, 158 views)
Old 17-11-16, 20:27

Two more photos

[ATTACH]DSCF0482.jpg

DSCF0483.jpg[/ATTACH]
Old 17-11-16, 20:30

Final CVT picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0484.jpg (115.4 KB, 135 views)
Old 18-11-16, 20:31

I could not resist having a look inside the engines today. WOW - what quality engineering. I spent many hours during my youth when I was racing G0-Karts with Villiers engine. Converting the 'T' crankshaft to a full circle & adding "Stuffers" to the crankcase all to increase the crankcase pressure prior to the transfer ports opening.

On these V8 engines, the crankshafts are full circle and each con-rod area has minimum clearance all round providing maximum "Supercharging" effect prior to the transfer of the charge to the cylinder. Each con rod area is sealed from those next door by "Sealing" rings (Piston Rings)

Then you look at the 8 x 42mm inlet carburetors - looks great for a standard engine, just awaiting lots of modifications during its development period. EFI is 1st modification.

Must get back to project No. 2 - rebuilding a Coventry Climax 1096cc side valve engine destined for a 1932 AJS car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0486.jpg (120.7 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0487.jpg (118.1 KB, 157 views)
Old 27-11-16, 10:06

Dog Clutch

The design of the transmission is coming together.

With the CVT, I need to be able to disconnect the engine from it so I can do the stationary noise test.

From the same complete unit from which I purchased the power head, Mercury installed a Dog Clutch on the drive shaft to provide reverse, I now have this system from which I can use the components to make the disconnect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2243.JPG (49.4 KB, 96 views)
Old 02-12-16, 21:06

Re-Porting a two stroke.

I have stripped out one of the V8's and taken a pattern of the ports in the cylinder. From this, plus their angular opening - closing times etc., one can compare its design to those two stroke's built by by Walter Kaden/Suzuki/Yamaha etc.and their success illustrated by the Isle of Man TT results from yesteryear.

I am completely open to suggestions from any "Two Stroke Fanatics" who can/want to offer comments on potential engine modifications. Do I cut off the existing/original Exhaust chamber allowing the installation of 8 expansion chambers ?, Do I convert to EFI, do I consider supercharging since each crankcase is protected from pressure loss by reeds and inter crankcase seals. Then I could instal Power valves to modify the exhaust port opening time as RPM increases. So many options.

This powerhead has the potential for 600hp+ from a total weight of 370 lbs.(161kg) around the 9000RPM area or 4000 ft/minute piston speed.

ANY ideas appreciated, just so that I (we) can get a two stroke into a Hillclimb Top Ten run off somewhere in the UK.

Seriously, any two stroke Guru's, please advise your thoughts and ideas of modifications.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ports1.jpg (6.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0487.jpg (118.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 02-12-16, 22:33
Pasty Power

RobertT will become famous soon enough
job 1 i would get it on dta management and efi and get it running with some pipe copies off a motorcrosser with same cylinder size.
Old 29-12-16, 11:50

Both of the V8's are now fully stripped and pleased to find that they have not run many hours, all of the main components in very good condition.

Research indicates that I will go for the VEMS ECU. With this 2 stroke firing at each 45 degree crank angle, I need 8 individual sparks per rev together with 8 sequential injectors operating each rev and the VEMS is about the only available system (that I can currently find) that can supply this off the shelf.

I have also been contacted by a couple of expansion chamber "Guru's" who are now formulating their pipe designs. Current thinking is to siamese two exhaust ports which fire at 180 degree intervals and with the stingers (the smaller outlet pipe) extended way inside the chamber to significantly reduce noise levels. All 4 stingers finally enter a common "Silencer".

Current engine - transmission layout puts the expansion chamber - silencer inside the car probably inside a noise attenuated box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010811.jpg (117.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 29-12-16, 17:31

AlexChard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBS-CVT View Post
Both of the V8's are now fully stripped and pleased to find that they have not run many hours, all of the main components in very good condition.
Great news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBS-CVT View Post
Research indicates that I will go for the VEMS ECU. With this 2 stroke firing at each 45 degree crank angle, I need 8 individual sparks per rev together with 8 sequential injectors operating each rev and the VEMS is about the only available system (that I can currently find) that can supply this off the shelf.
Most decent ECUs should be able to do that, even without a cam shaft sensor, as it's a 2 stroke.
Old 18-01-17, 00:32

volvorsport is on a distinguished road
I have machinations of a 500cc fwd cvt special.....was the cvt expensive?