Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 29-09-17, 22:10

Nick Skidmore will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick98 View Post
My car has the original drawing number for the ROPS written in the log book (from 1991 when it was made) and I still had to get a new one. Can someone explain that to me because I sure as hell can't.
Because when your car was built in 1991 the manufacturer decided that the rule introduced in 1987 for ROPS for whatever reason did not apply to him. He was not on his own though hence what happened last year. Good planning on his part though - get paid to build it incorrectly in 1991, then get paid 16 years later to fix the mistake at current rates.....

So it will be as it has always been, any new rules will apply to new cars.
Old 30-09-17, 08:35
Return of The Sith

team knifedge will become famous soon enough team knifedge will become famous soon enough
Hopefully this thread won't provide said msa group with a whole bunch of things to consider !
Old 30-09-17, 09:13

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Skidmore View Post
He was not on his own though hence what happened last year.

The constructors (including Jedi) had the MSA appointed scrutineers for company and the MSA's John Symes who gave approval for Jedi's race series.
I doubt any constructor enjoyed the process of replacing ROP's or getting certification, I know in Jedi's case what was supposed to be a 10 day MIRA job turned into 3 months delay during which time they could not start to do any rectification of any chassis

So it will be as it has always been, any new rules will apply to new cars.
and there is the next problem for constructors, if I wanted to order a new ultra competitive carbon tub super light weight chassis and wheel tethers and certified crash structures are introduced, I will have to pay more and will have a weight penalty compared to the previous years car.
How do the MSA propose to restore a level playing field other than impose a minimum weight for each class?
John
Old 30-09-17, 09:20

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by team knifedge View Post
Hopefully this thread won't provide said msa group with a whole bunch of things to consider !
The MSA were already considering wheel tethers, certified crash structures and "halo device" at the September 2015 constructors meeting. Minimum tube sizes for suspension components was also raised which got one very successful, respected Scottish constructor in a bit of a twitch.
John
Old 30-09-17, 10:16

dan mason will become famous soon enough
I agree with chris!
The last thread regarding msa regulations did far more harm than good.
I for one would prefer it if I never had to see a thread regarding the msa's potential ideas
Old 30-09-17, 10:41

dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kano nordie View Post
and there is the next problem for constructors, if I wanted to order a new ultra competitive carbon tub super light weight chassis and wheel tethers and certified crash structures are introduced, I will have to pay more and will have a weight penalty compared to the previous years car.
How do the MSA propose to restore a level playing field other than impose a minimum weight for each class?
John
A level playing field��. Have you looked at the 1100 class recently. Far from a level playing field unless you have 40k to hopefully put you near the top.

And I know the drivers make a difference but just look at what's out there.
Old 30-09-17, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan mason View Post
I agree with chris!
The last thread regarding msa regulations did far more harm than good.
I for one would prefer it if I never had to see a thread regarding the msa's potential ideas
Dan better you have an idea of what is in the MSA mind and in this case hopefully constructors will be united and tell the MSA the increase cost for grass roots motorsport and rather unnecessary "improvements" to safety are not really needed in our events.

Dopdog agreed the price for a top class 1100 bike engine car has become crazy, but if you and I were in the market for such a car, some of the MSA ideas mentioned in 2015 if implemented would increase cost more and make the same car heavier.
John
Old 30-09-17, 11:25

dan mason will become famous soon enough
I do have an idea. But I'll research it privately rather than on a forum where thousands of people can potentially read it.
And speculating what may or may be spoken about is in my eyes pointless!
Each to their own though and I suppose everyone has differing views.
Hopefully 2018 is a better year than 2017 was
Old 30-09-17, 12:59
Return of The Sith

team knifedge will become famous soon enough team knifedge will become famous soon enough
Errrrr, there's never a "level playing field" in any class ....
Old 30-09-17, 15:16

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
Agree.
If you want a 'mechanical' level playing field best go circuit racing in a one make class on control tyres with sealed engines etc.
Then it is all down to the driver and whatever tweeks the team can find within the rules.

Progress happens, it is prolific in the 1100 class atm and to me the better for it.
Advances like wheel tethers etc are bound to come along.
If you want to avoid the 'burden' of such things then buy and use last year's cars, or buy the latest and loose weight to compensate.

There are bigger advantages or disadvantages to a car's performance than 3Kg or so in modern features; driver weight, driver's attitude, driver's talent etc.

I changed my massive Red Top battery to a Lithium from Allan and shed about 7 Kg or more 2 years ago.
Didn't go faster for several meetings. I changed my attitude to the sport and have gone much quicker on older tyres and won my Class in the Midland as a result, twice.

As to knowing what the MSA are thinking,...Fore warned is fore armed. (however you spell it)