Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-17, 16:13

dopdog will become famous soon enough
I think it all looks great.

lets not forget a fire extinguisher is not there to put the fire out but for you to get out of the car safely. So in Jeff's case it did exactly that.

you say not life threatening but what if he could not get out in time and the fibreglass caught, no Jeff left?
Old 03-10-17, 17:16

jeffwiltshire will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Imagination View Post
Unfortunate - and I'm pleased that your system saved further damage, however I guess it was never going to be life threatening, so really shouldn't it be up to competitors to decide on the level of risk?

If the MSA 'blazers' - (no pun intended!) are suddenly worried about fire hazards perhaps some minimum fuel/oil plumbing standards should be introduced first...........
I was just pointing at that I had occasion to need an on-board extinguisher, I would always have one now but I certainly wouldn't want to have rules saying you had too.
Old 03-10-17, 17:23

Mike SWest is on a distinguished road
what about this one, anyone know what Lithium battery's are MSA registered?

Date of implementation: 1 January 2019
5.14.9. If non lead acid batteries
are used as the main vehicle
battery, they battery pack(s) must
carry the appropriate “EC” and
markings. and be either a
Standard Part or manufactured
by an MSA registered
manufacturer.
Old 03-10-17, 17:25

Biggles will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Imagination View Post
at the very least they can't be bothered to differentiate risk according to the motorsport disclipline
Actually, to a degree they do - rally cars will have to have a 3kg extinguisher rather than the 2kg of everyone else.
Also spare another thought for the rally boys & girls - a couple of years ago diagonals became mandatory (fairly easy to add retrospectively) but now it's roof bars (somewhat less easy to add).
Old 03-10-17, 18:54
Ex Radical owner

Radical has a spectacular aura about Radical has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
Its a big document this time.

https://www.msauk.org/assets/rulechangesoctober2017.pdf

Some relevant changes that appear to potentially affect us

FIRE EXTINGUISHERS

All new build from 01/01/2019, and all other existing vehicles from 01/01/2022 must carry a fire extinguisher to FIA 8865-2015
Not unless Section S is altered (which this bullitin does not) 10.1.14 still applys and overrules section K as before. (section K.3 has alwalys stated All vehicles).
10 .1.14 .
Fire Extinguishers – K.3.1.2(a) recommended
for discharge into cockpit and engine compartmen

10.1.14 has always been quoted as the reason we don't need fire extinguishers in this sport, unless it is altered nothing will change.
Old 03-10-17, 19:07
AKA Rich Danby

Dad's Lad will become famous soon enough
As for the new appendix 3 I think it is just recommending (and mandating in some situations) a switch to FIA regulated extinguishers form non regulated ones. I don't believe it is changing who needs to carry one.

The way I read the current rules K.3 says fire extinguishers must be carried and K.10.1.14 recommends the type to use out of the options in K3.1.* - Though clearly that isn't the way it has been applied
Old 03-10-17, 19:58

gsyracer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Actually, to a degree they do - rally cars will have to have a 3kg extinguisher rather than the 2kg of everyone else.
Also spare another thought for the rally boys & girls - a couple of years ago diagonals became mandatory (fairly easy to add retrospectively) but now it's roof bars (somewhat less easy to add).
Roof bars?? My cage doesn't have roof bars except the roll hoop, the top of windscreen and the two parallel bars joining them from door pillar to windscreen pillar..
Old 03-10-17, 21:27
Skoda leg end

Alpinepg will become famous soon enough Alpinepg will become famous soon enough
More mandated, costly safety that has no basis for implementation in speed events. Brilliant. So in a couple of years when someone with a road car asks you what it costs to start up, we can add a fire extinguisher to the £500+ list......and then they go off and do something else instead!
Old 03-10-17, 21:36

Biggles will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsyracer View Post
Roof bars?? My cage doesn't have roof bars except the roll hoop, the top of windscreen and the two parallel bars joining them from door pillar to windscreen pillar..
Neither does mine (nor lots of other peoples). And not an easy thing to add - notwithstanding the MSA allowing you to add said bar to an homologated cage - no worries, I'll just cut the roof off to allow me to weld round the top of the bar ...
Old 04-10-17, 05:35

kano nordie has a spectacular aura about kano nordie has a spectacular aura about
All we need now is that bike engine single seat cars must be fitted a working revers gear, rear light and mirrors to be up circuit race requirements as per European hill climb cars, add a little weight to slow you quick chaps down a bit, (not needed in my case)
John