Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 23-10-17, 08:34

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
I changed the colour of my Lola, new pics had to be sent and stamped.
Old 23-10-17, 08:51

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Part of the MSA Log Book actually records the chassis number. So why would it be necessary to submit new photographs when the chassis number is what really matters? All the Scrutineer has to do is check the Log Book and note the chassis number then check the car to make sure the Chassis Number on the car matches the Log Book - simples.
Old 23-10-17, 09:28

Roger Jordan is on a distinguished road
I started competing in the late 60`s until the end of 1994 , we managed fine without logbooks then so what`s changed, yet more red tape for the sake of it just empire building and box ticking as I see it, my car was inspected and the fee paid at the end of 1994 never seen a log book from that day to this and I still live at the same address!

I had not realised that logbooks were not required in circuit racing, I assumed it would be a blanket coverage which would appear logical if you have to have them at all, although as I understand it there are three Chevron sports cars claiming the same chassis number 10 so I guess the powers that be would have to make a decision as to which is the genuine article, tricky!

Easier to roll it out as grass roots level I suppose.
Old 23-10-17, 11:31

RennyT will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
The Mygales never came with log books, and since I've had the passport its been asked for and looked at, at every event since.

Now I've come to change the wings, I've been told I need to send new pics off to 'update it'
#moreexpense
There is no charge, other than postage (or an email) to update the photograph or record changes in ownership, changes in engine capacity etc.

Depending upon the changes, unless it was significant, I'd not ask for a photo to be updated because of new aero. What if you change it for different tracks??
Old 23-10-17, 13:49

Rob Way is on a distinguished road
As people have stated you don't need a logbook for circuit racing, this is because the regulations are generally series specific and controlled via a series tech representative who is responsible for the cars complying to those regulations.

The only identifying part for the car is the transponder that has to be registered with the club against that car and number. Although you can register the same transponder to multiple cars and clubs.

It would be a nightmare to logbook all circuit racing cars as stated above the regulations are series specific with the national guidance applied by the club for safety. Unlike rallying and sprint hills where the cars comply with national regulations.

The only exception in racing is Historic race cars that comply with FIA reg's and a passported (log book) to ensure compliance that is about £1000 to have completed. Proper historic's that is not the CSCC stuff.
Old 23-10-17, 14:53

chevman47 is on a distinguished road
While we are on the subject of the inconsistencies of the MSA. How are we clever enough to build our own cars, BUT, not skilled enough to fit two Hans bolts in a helmet.? ANOTHER "Rip off".
Old 23-10-17, 19:08

fatboyslim has a spectacular aura about fatboyslim has a spectacular aura about
according to the latest bulletin the requirement for photos is getting deleted but if you perform a colour change you need to send a new picture to compare it against the one you don't need from jan 2018, or have i read that wrong
Old 24-10-17, 12:21

Rob Way is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevman47 View Post
While we are on the subject of the inconsistencies of the MSA. How are we clever enough to build our own cars, BUT, not skilled enough to fit two Hans bolts in a helmet.? ANOTHER "Rip off".
You can. The Helmet just needs the inserts pre-installed. You can't add HANS fixings to a pre-drilled helmet (with no inserts), and rightly so as that's just dangerous.
Old 24-10-17, 14:57

david.seaton will become famous soon enough david.seaton will become famous soon enough
" You can't add HANS fixings to a pre-drilled helmet (with no inserts), and rightly so as that's just dangerous "

Simpson provide accurate information on how to do this, and as a manufacturer, approve it if done to their spec, as the helmets were strengthened in that area for that particular reason
I went through this whole thing when John Ryan was at the MSA, and his view was that as long as it was approved by Simpson, to the specific helmet serial number it was fine.
Once he had retired from his role, the MSA regulations changed, however that is another much longer story.
At the end of the day, anybody who is adept with a drill and able to stick to their exact measurements, is a capable as a man at the factory with a drill, which is all that would happen had the helmet gone back to the manufacturer.
Old 24-10-17, 16:37

Brakedisc will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.seaton View Post
" You can't add HANS fixings to a pre-drilled helmet (with no inserts), and rightly so as that's just dangerous "

Simpson provide accurate information on how to do this, and as a manufacturer, approve it if done to their spec, as the helmets were strengthened in that area for that particular reason
I went through this whole thing when John Ryan was at the MSA, and his view was that as long as it was approved by Simpson, to the specific helmet serial number it was fine.
Once he had retired from his role, the MSA regulations changed, however that is another much longer story.
At the end of the day, anybody who is adept with a drill and able to stick to their exact measurements, is a capable as a man at the factory with a drill, which is all that would happen had the helmet gone back to the manufacturer.
Do you not mean John Symes?