Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-17, 11:53

Rob Thomson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis.doyle View Post
Sure, if someone fitted a straight-through, big-bore, de-catted exhaust that would be cheating, but who cares who wins the plastic pot?
While I appreciate that not many people will care who wins the plastic trophy for the SC class, it's probably fair to say that the competitors in the SC class do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Johnson View Post
I think a few are missing the point "standard class" is exactly that......as it came from factory. Any modifications the car goes into 'road going production' it's that simple to me. Pattern parts as long as same as 'standard original spec' and not modified parts that enhance alledged or actual performance then that's fine. Standard means Standard
This is the view I've always taken.

My 172 Cup has the awful shitty pattern exhaust because that seemed to be the correct interpretation of the regulations. Similarly, I'd love to be able to replace the awful standard top-mounts with something that last longer than half a dozen events, but I don't. I prefer how the car handles on 15" wheels, but I run on the standard 16" wheels because that's what the Blue Book says I should do.

Sure, there's always a degree of common sense, we all understand that a stainless exhaust alone isn't going to make any measurable difference to performance, but there would be a few raised eyebrows if you entered SC in a car with a decat pipe and a tubular manifold in place of the standard lump of cast iron.
Old 05-11-17, 13:56

powell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Johnson View Post
I think a few are missing the point "standard class" is exactly that......as it came from factory. Any modifications the car goes into 'road going production' it's that simple to me. Pattern parts as long as same as 'standard original spec' and not modified parts that enhance alledged or actual performance then that's fine. Standard means Standard
Yep! I used to get frustrated when I hillclimbed my wifes fiat panda 100hp in standard roadgoing up to 1400cc. I was regularly competing against 106 rallyes and suzuki swiftes that were clearly lowered. standard means standard. Patern parts are fine but upgrades are not....
Old 05-11-17, 15:08

Lordtets is on a distinguished road
Genuinely trying to enter a sport i've never tried before in my road car which has a couple of factory options and an exhaust manifold replaced to avoid a wrecked engine.

I think a lot of us will be asking the same questions as most of the cars in this class will be over 10 years old they will inevitably had the odd part replaced or come out of the factory with options

Just for example, the MR2 had the lowered springs, leather and air con option which mine has, but also had TTE exhaust, turbo, aero options, etc etc which mine hasn't.

I'm not trying to bend the rules in a standard production class, but it's a car I have that isn't going to cost a lot to compete in, unless I have to start replacing parts to bring it back to a car bought as a base model with no options and try and find an original manifold that could wreck the engine.
Old 05-11-17, 15:55

powell is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Lordt

Just for example, the MR2 had the lowered springs, leather and air con option which mine has, but also had TTE exhaust, turbo, aero options, etc etc which mine hasn't.

Thats the point. If it was available to purchase as an option from the factory that is fine.
If you crash through a demon tweeks catalogue then that is different, the car is then modified and should be in an appropriate class.
Luke
Old 05-11-17, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordtets View Post
Genuinely trying to enter a sport i've never tried before in my road car which has a couple of factory options and an exhaust manifold replaced to avoid a wrecked engine.
Surely you can compete in the road going class if your car isn't eligible for Standard Car?
Old 05-11-17, 17:01

shiftspark is on a distinguished road
I agree with you Rob Thompson , my Cup has a standard pattern exhaust which is far inferior to a genuine Renault one but hey ho it also cost a small fortune to fit new genuine parts as opposed to cheap modified bits.
Also why the downer on no one interested in SB except those in it.
Old 05-11-17, 17:03

Lordtets is on a distinguished road
funnily enough, I had just started reading the regs on road going - might be a better option - like I said earlier, i'm just wanting to compete again after a 25 year lay off (albeit rallying previously). Never going to win any prizes in it but it's not about that!!
Old 05-11-17, 18:17

johnno is on a distinguished road
Well this is turning into a good discussion and i'm glad its opened up to other questions, i don't think anyone is looking for a way to 'cheat' more like making sure they don't. Reference the 172 exhaust, pattern exhausts are pretty plentiful including good quality ones not so for the 182's though Rob if you weren't aware, even the the big chains F1 autocentres national tyres etc don't list them. Roadgoing definitely not an option (for me anyway) as next year if all the organisers allow 1B's then that's what everybody will be on as as happened at Harewood this year. I too am from a rallying background but these days i prefer to wash my car at the end of my Friday shift at work, check my oil and my 1A tyres and off i go, maybe that's why my plastic pots are worthless!
Old 05-11-17, 18:35

That's interesting... I really struggled to find a pattern exhaust for the 172 and ended up with something horrible from ECP for about £100. Not sure of the make, maybe a Clarius. It really doesn't fit very well but to be fair it's lasted 18 months without falling apart.

I wanted a Renault system but they're no longer available.

Personally I love SC, for its simplicity and because it's great beating two-thirds of the field in a £2k shopping trolley...
Old 05-11-17, 18:40

johnno is on a distinguished road
Personally I love SC, for its simplicity and because it's great beating two-thirds of the field in a £2k shopping trolley...[/QUOTE]

Spot on