Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-17, 23:02

172cup is on a distinguished road
Personally think SC has ruined 1B numbers.. probably a fair few cars in SC that are modified too. Hey-ho...
Old 06-11-17, 17:51

RennyT will become famous soon enough
I'd not be bothered by a car in Standard Category running a "pattern" exhaust made of stainless. As long as the catalytic converter was still there and the original manifold, and the exhaust appears pretty similar, no problems.

Granted, another Competitor may object, in which case I'd suggest he formally protests by gong to see the Clerk of the Course with his chequebook.
Old 06-11-17, 23:07

Lordtets is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno View Post
Well this is turning into a good discussion and i'm glad its opened up to other questions, i don't think anyone is looking for a way to 'cheat' more like making sure they don't.
Exactly this - i'm really looking forward to competing again but don't want to fall foul of the rules
Old 20-11-17, 11:22

Flatracer is on a distinguished road
Hi all, I am in a similar position as the post starter on this thread. I have purchased a car for SC class that has a stainless steel CAT back system already fitted. The system has the same number of boxes as standard in similar locations but for sure is not a pattern part. It has a different sized tail pipe to standard. I have contacted the manufacture and they have confirmed there is no performance advantage to the system. The previous owner fitted it as it was cheaper than a manufacture part, it does have a more raspy noise but nothing to trouble noise regs.

Could any of the MSA technical people on the forum confirm if I need to look a fitting a standard CAT back system?

Many thanks
Old 20-11-17, 12:57

Dobt it. The Regs say standard or pattern, pattern isn't defined that well
Old 20-11-17, 13:51

crwoost is on a distinguished road
In a very vague connection with MSA does anyone know the MSA discount code for Autosport show next Jan?
Old 20-11-17, 17:43

Ian Johnson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatracer View Post
Hi all, I am in a similar position as the post starter on this thread. I have purchased a car for SC class that has a stainless steel CAT back system already fitted. The system has the same number of boxes as standard in similar locations but for sure is not a pattern part. It has a different sized tail pipe to standard. I have contacted the manufacture and they have confirmed there is no performance advantage to the system. The previous owner fitted it as it was cheaper than a manufacture part, it does have a more raspy noise but nothing to trouble noise regs.

Could any of the MSA technical people on the forum confirm if I need to look a fitting a standard CAT back system?

Many thanks
Standard means Standard so unfortunately you have a modified exhaust of different dimensions no matter if it produces any more power or not, why not just go in road modified then problem solved
Old 20-11-17, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Johnson View Post
Standard means Standard so unfortunately you have a modified exhaust of different dimensions no matter if it produces any more power or not, why not just go in road modified then problem solved
Standard Car Category Regs allow a "standard pattern part". I think the discussion is whether the exhaust fitted meets the definition of a standard pattern part.
I'd run with it: If someone feels strongly enough, they could protest and if upheld the OP may lose some points and have to fit a "compliant" exhaust. The Protestor would get their money back.
Old 20-11-17, 22:04

Flatracer is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice, I take the point that by the strict definition of the rules it would be a problem, however am hoping the MSA scrutineers at the events have a practical approach. It will be my first year driving so unlikely to be breaking any records, and want to see if I enjoy it before forking out for parts. If I enjoy it and the exhaust is an issue I will change it. If I go into modified road going I know it will be a slippery slope to get the car competitive, trying to avoid that as the bank balance doesn't really support that!

In the events I went to this year and the driver school I went on I really enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and how helpful everyone is. Looking forward to competing next year.
Old 22-11-17, 13:22

Rob Thomson is on a distinguished road
As I said above, as a regular SC competitor I wouldn't be worried if someone entered the class with a stainless exhaust. With a de-cat yes, but cat-back wouldn't raise any eyebrows.