Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 27-11-17, 20:50
Senior Citizen

redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwiltshire View Post
OK, to be honest it would be cheaper to get it approved than to change it then. The drawings from the original car exist so it shouldn't be much of an issue.
It is probably a slightly larger job than when I did mine and it cost me just over a ?100. If you can get some one to make up a new hoop for you, get the angle grinder out and start cutting and make a new one to MSA regs as per the BB.....
Old 27-11-17, 20:54

CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about
Doeantbthe car have some relationship to the MSV school cars with Jag engines? Maybe Palmers crowd, or at oastvthe techies that prep and maintain them car help? Not sure if they operate them abroad, but outside chance they needed fia papers, bit of a long shot
Old 27-11-17, 21:30

jeffwiltshire will become famous soon enough
The Palmer Jaguar was the same chassis but the roll hoop is different.
Old 28-11-17, 06:04
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
I'm sure my first question in September was Does it come with a ROPS certificate?

Good luck , I'm sure you'll get it one. It only took me 9 months.
Old 28-11-17, 06:30

Smokey mow is on a distinguished road
Jeff, if you have copies of the ROPS drawings from The manufacturer then the process should be a lot simpler for you than for some people but there's still no guarantee it will pass without needing additional work.

Cost wise you're looking at around ?300 for the application to the MSA and ?1000+ to Mira for the simulation and calculations. This price depends on the the complexity of the design and whether you can supply them with the 3D model files or if they have to do them for you.

I put my JW4's through this process last year and in the end found it quite efortless to do. You can read a bit more about it on my blog. http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/...omment=1301032
Old 28-11-17, 06:56

nick98 will become famous soon enough nick98 will become famous soon enough
My Jedi had the ROPS drawing number referenced in the Log Book, that's the MSA Log Book, they still made me get a new one. Am I bitter and twisted..... I'll let you work that one out.
Old 28-11-17, 07:40

robhume is on a distinguished road
I've built a Westfield eleven and the MSA have two ROPS certificates for this model on record, stating tube specification etc.
However this was of no use, as the manufacturer's drawings were not available, so I will still have to have drawings done with calculations, and then pay the MSA for their approval, despite the fact that they already hold certificates, then pay Mira to carry out the simulation.
Old 28-11-17, 07:51
Return of The Sith

team knifedge will become famous soon enough team knifedge will become famous soon enough
Fu****wits the lot of them - apologies for the profanity !
Old 28-11-17, 08:01
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by team knifedge View Post
Fu****wits the lot of them - apologies for the profanity !
Seconded. It was a world of pain, I still feel unwell whenever I think about it, a horrible horrible mess, shared to death on here, and I know Jeff will get it sorted. Either drag it down to Jo White and hack off the hoop and fit something appropriate, or line the pockets of the bureaucrats and pursue the 9 months long paper trail.

It doesn't warrant another thread on here, I'd have just called Jo and arranged for the work, and got everything ready for Combe in March.
Old 28-11-17, 08:07
Senior Citizen

redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough redturner37 is a jewel in the rough
I was going to attach a picture of the job I did on mine, sadly it says it is too large. I had the correct drawings from the MSA but sadly I had removed the forward struts so it was illegal. I made a new hoop to the exact dimensions to the outside but in 42.4 x 2.6 as per MSA and bronze welded it in. It was inspected at several stages buy a local scrut and didn't have a problem. Don't start paying silly money to MIRA.....