Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-18, 00:29
learnerdrive learnerdrive is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 73
learnerdrive is on a distinguished road
Which radial slicks

Having only used crossplies before, I need some advice on radials.

Which size and compound would be best for 8" and 10" wheels on a single seater for hillclimbs?

And yes I understand it will need a different setup.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-18, 00:31
dan mason dan mason is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: milnthorpe cumbria
Posts: 1,292
dan mason will become famous soon enough
What car is it?
Is there a need to switch from a crossply to a radial?
When I ran the Jedi - the crossplies felt every bit as good as any radial tyre I’ve used!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-18, 00:46
learnerdrive learnerdrive is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 73
learnerdrive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan mason View Post
What car is it?
Is there a need to switch from a crossply to a radial?
When I ran the Jedi - the crossplies felt every bit as good as any radial tyre I’ve used!
Hi Dan

There is no need, but I have an urge.

Did you try radials and crossplies back to back on the same car?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-18, 01:13
dan mason dan mason is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: milnthorpe cumbria
Posts: 1,292
dan mason will become famous soon enough
No,as the Jedi can’t run the camber for the radials!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-18, 05:51
dopdog's Avatar
dopdog dopdog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 1,028
dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnerdrive View Post
Hi Dan

There is no need, but I have an urge.

Did you try radials and crossplies back to back on the same car?
I have tried both on the same car and the radials gave me so much more confidence in the car. When you really push the car you can feel the difference.
Only me of course
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-18, 10:56
learnerdrive learnerdrive is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 73
learnerdrive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopdog View Post
I have tried both on the same car and the radials gave me so much more confidence in the car. When you really push the car you can feel the difference.
Only me of course
It seems that most drivers have not got that knowledge so that's really useful.
Any advice on tyre sizes or are you not on those same rims?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-01-18, 11:12
Adam's Avatar
Adam Adam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cirencester
Posts: 605
Adam is on a distinguished road
What are you cross-ply sizes? 175/530 or 195/530 front and 230/550 or 250/570 rear are the favourites in those sorts of sizes.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-01-18, 11:24
Mike SWest Mike SWest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 124
Mike SWest is on a distinguished road
What chassis and engine are you running ?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-18, 11:27
learnerdrive learnerdrive is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 73
learnerdrive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
What are you cross-ply sizes? 175/530 or 195/530 front and 230/550 or 250/570 rear are the favourites in those sorts of sizes.
Hi Adam.
Have just this second spoken to BMTR and they agree with what you have just stated. 195/570 & 250/570
Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-01-18, 12:35
dopdog's Avatar
dopdog dopdog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 1,028
dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnerdrive View Post
Hi Adam.
Have just this second spoken to BMTR and they agree with what you have just stated. 195/570 & 250/570
Thanks for your feedback.
That’s what I ran as well
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
radial , slicks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright© 2007-2018 Uphill Racers www.uphillracers.com