Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 15-04-18, 08:34

Carra23 is on a distinguished road
Gear indication

Hi after a bit of advice if you don’t nod off reading the essay just wanted to give as much info to get best advice

I have built a single seater BEC it’s got a 1998 Cbr f3 600cc engine and has a proshift ps2 shift system with blipper if helps

Problem I have is car won’t start unless in neutral so I’ve earthed the neutral switch as this allows me to start the car in any gear now , reason did this as sometime can be a swine to find neutral between first and second with the proshift.

Basically what I want to do is minimum connect up a light so I know I’ve hit neutral I tried going off the original neutral switch hoping this would would work and the light goes out as I drop into gears but as it’s now earthed it doesn’t work like this that would be too easy is there someway I can do this

If not with the netrual earthed to trick the engine now is there a gear indicator I could buy that isn’t reliant on this circuit basically a stand alone gear indicator i,e cadtek etc that I could use to show the gear selected if I can get a standalone that would show full gear selection how the car is set up perfect but not overly bothered as never looking at dash once leaving start line

Hope your still awake and thanks if anyone can help with is either reply or by a pm
Old 15-04-18, 10:32

sr3rad is on a distinguished road
I've used a Proshift on a couple of cars and had the same problem. I used a simple cable loosely through the end of the bolt holding the rose joint on the selector lever. The cable had a nipple at max travel of the lever which ment I could pull the lever back into neutral. Worked perfectly.
Old 15-04-18, 12:58

A very simple way thanks for taking the time and sharing that one great idea il definitely look into this and see if possible how engine is sat etc
Old 15-04-18, 19:36

wil_ker will become famous soon enough
I presume you have used the standard bike loom including the dash to wire it all up?

It seems there are two options.

1) Run a 12V feed to an independant bulb or LED, then earth it through the neutral switch. Then just earth the existing feed which is inhibiting the engine starting.

2) Get the wiring diagram for the loom you have used and modify the neutral light circuit to remove the inhibition bit of it. I'm pretty sure it'll be dead simple on a 1998 loom.

I'd go with option 2.
Old 16-04-18, 16:43

I’m using a aftermarket dash not the original one . Yes it’s original loom but has been modified to suit the car more removed crap not needed than messed too much with it though I have removed the clutch switch and also stand switch to sort the usual issues thanks for your input on this also plenty options I’m sure will sort it now with both ideas plus one above starting it tomorrow night so will update hoping with great news

Thanks again
Old 16-04-18, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil_ker View Post
I presume you have used the standard bike loom including the dash to wire it all up?

It seems there are two options.

1) Run a 12V feed to an independant bulb or LED, then earth it through the neutral switch. Then just earth the existing feed which is inhibiting the engine starting.

2) Get the wiring diagram for the loom you have used and modify the neutral light circuit to remove the inhibition bit of it. I'm pretty sure it'll be dead simple on a 1998 loom.

I'd go with option 2.
Just tried option 1 as I’d already done this and not removed wires yet luckily cause like a dumb as I was earthing the bulb not running it off a 12v feed thinking it would power it once hits neutral .Just swapped wire to 12v hey presto working a treat. Electrics not my strong point

Thanks again for your help