Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-18, 08:37

sevaun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kano nordie View Post
My Jedi was fitted from new in 97 with single adjust AVO's and when I replaced a few years ago bought their double adjust alli body dampers, not tried anything else to compare but found AVO very helpful.
John
Thanks John, can you remember if there was a measurable difference between the single and double adjust AVO's?

Thanks

Rich
Old 02-03-18, 10:41

kano nordie has a spectacular aura about kano nordie has a spectacular aura about
Not really, the ali bodied dampers were a lot lighter than the 16 year old steel bodies, if I had more time to play maybe I would notice a difference, but really would need a test session with some body taking times, or do it yourself with data logging, I'm an old school seat of pants type driver
Cheers
John
Old 02-03-18, 10:42

sevaun will become famous soon enough
Thanks anyway John

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kano nordie View Post
Not really, the ali bodied dampers were a lot lighter than the 16 year old steel bodies, if I had more time to play maybe I would notice a difference, but really would need a test session with some body taking times, or do it yourself with data logging, I'm an old school seat of pants type driver
Cheers
John
Old 02-03-18, 15:58
Purr louder pussy cat

PumaWestie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevaun View Post
thanks for all the advice guys, I'll give it some thought and contact one or two people.
Protech and Quantum seem to be in the frame here, but does anyone have any experience of others like AVO, GAZ and Spax?
Avo, Gaz and Spax are generic multi purpose shocks and not really the best for motorsport. You probably see plenty as they are cheap, readily available and have been around a long time. Other brands have left them behind in this day and age.

Try speaking to Simon at Meteor Motorsport., He stocks most brands https://www.raceshocks.uk/
Old 02-03-18, 18:23

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwiltshire View Post
I went from Protech Doubles to Penske remote res doubles and the difference was night and day.
In what way ?

Just car feel, over bumps, what ?

I've always wondered what makes a good shock...a good shock, especially when the likes of hills are only very short duration and probably not that bumpy etc

Plus the more adjustments there are....it can only get more complicated to get right ?
Old 02-03-18, 21:43

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
In what way ?

Just car feel, over bumps, what ?

I've always wondered what makes a good shock...a good shock, especially when the likes of hills are only very short duration and probably not that bumpy etc

Plus the more adjustments there are....it can only get more complicated to get right ?
It's partly to do with what's achievable velocity curve wise, dynamic responses and consistency. You can achieve a damping ratio through lots of means, but it's how that varies under different conditions that gives the performance benefit. A high end damper can be tuned to closer match the requirements of the application, and usually the manufacturer will help you find the correct setup. The performance of the damper has very little to do with the number of external adjusters and a lot to do with the fluid paths inside the damper.
Old 03-03-18, 11:20

gixxerthou is on a distinguished road
Folk's tolerance of inferiority is inversely correlated to their wallet size. Certainly, Penske (et. al.) are lovely, I'm sure, if you're wealthy.

I went from a set of steel AVO shocks (of some vintage) with the spherical joints welded on at obscure angles, perhaps that's how they were in the day from Jedi. Replaced with a set of alloy AVOs, doubly adjustable (but I have no skill/knowledge/experience/intelligence on how to adjust them). They seem OK, all four, with springs, change from £1000. They eerrr..... damp the oscillations.
Old 03-03-18, 14:37

kano nordie has a spectacular aura about kano nordie has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerthou View Post
Folk's tolerance of inferiority is inversely correlated to their wallet size. Certainly, Penske (et. al.) are lovely, I'm sure, if you're wealthy.

I went from a set of steel AVO shocks (of some vintage) with the spherical joints welded on at obscure angles, perhaps that's how they were in the day from Jedi. Replaced with a set of alloy AVOs, doubly adjustable (but I have no skill/knowledge/experience/intelligence on how to adjust them). They seem OK, all four, with springs, change from £1000. They eerrr..... damp the oscillations.
Quite agree, set mine the same number of clicks that I had used for years on the old single adjuster AVO's and never had an empty track or time to experiment
John
Old 03-03-18, 16:51
Purr louder pussy cat

PumaWestie is on a distinguished road
The choice is basically budget items filled with oil or more expensive ones which are gas pressurised.

Some useful info here to help decide which type http://jmg.com.gt/en/oil-shock-absorbers-or-gas
Old 03-03-18, 17:22
Not-so-slowboy

SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough
Do be aware that the basic oil-filled AVO's (and some others) are sensitive to mounting orientation, i.e. really need to be mounted vertically to operate to their best.

Most gas-pressurised dampers can cope with being fitted upside down or horizontally.

As dampers are the key component controlling how your tyres interface with the track, good ones will make a difference; but only if they're setup to suit your car.

Cheap and nasty non-adjustables that are perfectly matched to the cars needs will perform better than the mega-bucks Ohlins/Penskes poorly setup.