Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 16-08-17, 13:51

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
Just read the MSA have clarified...
Drag Racing is exempt. Some would be lethal without heat inducing wheel spin!

IMHO, this is all down to noise and time, and many venues will be forced to make the ban to appease or gain those issues.
I for one see little in all the wrapping of tyres.
Loton has a hard time disposing of it on a race weekend, it sure is bulky!
Again, Loton has re stated the wheel spin area and have moved the finish of the area further away from the marshals.
You cannot ignore the risk to the marshals.
Old 16-08-17, 18:03

learnerdrive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolat492 View Post
Just read the MSA have clarified...
Drag Racing is exempt. Some would be lethal without heat inducing wheel spin!

IMHO, this is all down to noise and time, and many venues will be forced to make the ban to appease or gain those issues.
I for one see little in all the wrapping of tyres.
Loton has a hard time disposing of it on a race weekend, it sure is bulky!
Again, Loton has re stated the wheel spin area and have moved the finish of the area further away from the marshals.
You cannot ignore the risk to the marshals.
I am always amazed that accelerating towards the unprotected marshals is considered an acceptable risk assessment or practice. Although, in my opinion, it should not get mixed up with environmental issues.
Old 16-08-17, 18:47
Return of The Sith

team knifedge will become famous soon enough team knifedge will become famous soon enough
A I said, I personally don't give a stuff
I think those of us who wrap our tyres have a responsibility to get them in wrapped in a timely manner - thus getting to the line quicker, and hopefully being released quicker .... I'll get my coat ...
Old 16-08-17, 19:38

jedi088 is on a distinguished road
Spinning wheels probably does not do anything to improve the performance of the tyres!
However I think it does give extra value to your paying spectator and as a driver it woke me up and was part of the preparation for a run.
It's also fun!
Running time at sprints/hillclimbs is short enough as it is.
The best days of Hillclimbing are over!
Discuss!
LOL
Old 16-08-17, 19:41

Colinm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by team knifedge View Post
A I said, I personally don't give a stuff
I think those of us who wrap our tyres have a responsibility to get them in wrapped in a timely manner - thus getting to the line quicker, and hopefully being released quicker .... I'll get my coat ...
If only more drivers took Knifedge's approach - Modprod are usually queuing round the block waiting to come to the start line while certain other classes leave the impression that the rule is to wait until the previous car has left the line before unwrapping and moving to the tyre warming/cleaning area - surely they're not trying to keep tyres warm are they? If they've been wrapped they shouldn't need cleaning anyway!

From the start-line marshall's point of view, it can be quite unnerving to stand waiting on the line while a mega-horsepower beast roars and squirms its way towards you. Generally though, from what I've seen, the ones with the most horse-power seem to know how to control it, it's some of the lesser mortals you need to watch out for! Rather more scary is standing in top paddock in pouring rain to direct cars that are aquaplaning down the road towards you.

I would whole-heartedly support Graham's suggestion that all cars should be self-starters - there can be quite a lot of pushing to do in Loton's top paddock. Many drivers post prominent notices saying where one should NOT PUSH yet expect to be push started, I can't recall seeing any cars with 'PUSH HERE' signs or dedicated handles or push points at a safe/comfortable height for pushers. Just another way of speeding up the process and minimising delays - but that's a whole other thread.
Old 17-08-17, 08:32

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi088 View Post
Spinning wheels probably does not do anything to improve the performance of the tyres!
If the competitor does nothing to their tyres between runs then I would argue that "Spinning wheels" does help as it gets rid of the detritus picked up by the rear wheels in the Paddock. If however Jedi088 is assuming that cars are coming to the start line with cleaned up tyres then I would agree.

Maybe what is needed is a cleaner Paddock, assembly area and return road or holding paddock. That way tyres are not picking up a load of stones etc.
Old 17-08-17, 08:48

bentimingstrut will become famous soon enough
It's never really impacted any of us at Gurston or Harewood but I would expect 64ft times at Loton & particularly Shelsley will be somewhat slower without Tyre warming. It's not just about warming the tyres though. In my case my engine definitely livens up after a pre start.
Old 17-08-17, 13:47

red21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentimingstrut View Post
In my case my engine definitely livens up after a pre start.
That the answer, I'm not warming my tyres Mr C of C, I am just get the engine out of hibernation
Old 17-08-17, 15:03
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by red21 View Post
That the answer, I'm not warming my tyres Mr C of C, I am just get the engine out of hibernation
But you can do that without endangering the marshals. Its called Neutral.