Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-01-18, 23:18
Phil_m Phil_m is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 48
Phil_m is on a distinguished road
Acceptable Fuel - pump/eth/meth/homebrew

Guys

I’ve a turbo car that will be happiest on something other than forecourt fuel.

My budget won’t allow branded race fuel (spot the poor guy haha)

Is there now no legal provision for this within the regs?

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-01-18, 23:32
Bispers Bispers is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 22
Bispers is on a distinguished road
I recommend the 2018 Blue Book section S 10.5 which covers fuel. Can’t be more specific without knowing your car category. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-01-18, 00:08
Phil_m Phil_m is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 48
Phil_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bispers View Post
I recommend the 2018 Blue Book section S 10.5 which covers fuel. Can’t be more specific without knowing your car category. Hope this helps.
Sport libre category - thanks for info, I’ve read that I’m just wanting to check my interpretation is correct

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-01-18, 00:24
Biggles's Avatar
Biggles Biggles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 139
Biggles will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_m View Post
Guys

I’ve a turbo car that will be happiest on something other than forecourt fuel.

My budget won’t allow branded race fuel (spot the poor guy haha)

Is there now no legal provision for this within the regs?

Phil
Not since 1992 unless you're running methanol which given you talk about forecourt fuel I'm assuming you're not.

Does your budget allow you to risk blowing up your exotic (ie expensive) engine that doesn't like pump fuel ? You can get a lot of Carless Turbo Ultimate fuel at £4 per litre for the cost of a rebuild after a major failure (say £10k).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-01-18, 09:22
Dan Friel Dan Friel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 284
Dan Friel will become famous soon enough
Section B of the Blue Book states that the maximum MON and RON of acceptable fuel is 89 and 100 respectively (BS EN 228). Tesco Momentum would be the max that you could use.. and even then I've heard of issues because it's produced at a minimum of 99RON, and others have found it's actually higher.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-01-18, 21:07
Biggles's Avatar
Biggles Biggles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 139
Biggles will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
Section B of the Blue Book states that the maximum MON and RON of acceptable fuel is 89 and 100 respectively (BS EN 228). Tesco Momentum would be the max that you could use.. and even then I've heard of issues because it's produced at a minimum of 99RON, and others have found it's actually higher.
Not quite - if you read the definition of pump fuel in the 2018 BB Sect.B - which is new for this year - the table in Appendix 1 which gives the RON & MON you quote refers to fuel from "UK roadside filling stations". The definition goes on to state that fuel to FIA App.J Art 252 article 9 is acceptable - which is 102 RON & 90 MON.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-01-18, 08:01
Dan Friel Dan Friel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 284
Dan Friel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Not quite - if you read the definition of pump fuel in the 2018 BB Sect.B - which is new for this year - the table in Appendix 1 which gives the RON & MON you quote refers to fuel from "UK roadside filling stations". The definition goes on to state that fuel to FIA App.J Art 252 article 9 is acceptable - which is 102 RON & 90 MON.
That's a good spot.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15-01-18, 21:20
Biggles's Avatar
Biggles Biggles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 139
Biggles will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Not quite - if you read the definition of pump fuel in the 2018 BB Sect.B - which is new for this year - the table in Appendix 1 which gives the RON & MON you quote refers to fuel from "UK roadside filling stations". The definition goes on to state that fuel to FIA App.J Art 252 article 9 is acceptable - which is 102 RON & 90 MON.
As above - it's in Section B in the definition of "pump fuel".
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-01-18, 10:38
Phil_m Phil_m is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 48
Phil_m is on a distinguished road
Fuel
10.5.1. For Road-Going Series Production, Road-Going
Specialist Production, Modified Series Production,
Modified Specialist Production and Hill Climb Super
Sports Cars, pump fuel is mandatory. Only air may be
mixed with the fuel as an oxidant.
10.5.2. Sports Libre and Racing Cars. Only pump fuel
or methanol may be used. When using methanol, the
addition of 10% by volume of Propanone is allowable
(Note J.5.13.6).
(a) Any vehicle using methanol must include an
additive which provides a distinguishable colour
and smell when burning.

that's copied directly from the section referenced above (page 342 of the 2018 BB) section S 10.5 FUEL

based on that i can run methanol - but id swear during my research there was some caveat regarding turbocharged engines

anyone able to enlighten me?

Phil

Last edited by Phil_m; 11-01-18 at 11:14.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-01-18, 11:20
Phil_m Phil_m is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 48
Phil_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Not since 1992 unless you're running methanol which given you talk about forecourt fuel I'm assuming you're not.
sorry was only mentioning forecourt fuel to say i would rather not use that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Does your budget allow you to risk blowing up your exotic (ie expensive) engine that doesn't like pump fuel ? You can get a lot of Carless Turbo Ultimate fuel at £4 per litre for the cost of a rebuild after a major failure (say £10k).
ive read these discussion angles a dozen times - and for me race fuel just isn't affordable. for someone with an 10k engine maybe.

Phil
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright© 2007-2018 Uphill Racers www.uphillracers.com