Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 26-01-18, 12:39
Purr louder pussy cat

PumaWestie is on a distinguished road
Question of curiosity on Lithium batteries really - are they still prone to cause such a fire risk if they are flat? I'm thinking if its safer to run one in total loss so it gets safer the more its used.

I'm now worrying about all my cordless toys in the garage bursting into flames including the wheel nut gun in the paddock
Old 26-01-18, 12:49

AshM is on a distinguished road
Don't run it total loss. It will cause other problems.
Old 26-01-18, 12:52

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
As I understood it from Allan McD the risk is from charging at too high a voltage, alternator if regulating properly are not a problem but choose your battery charger carefully.
I heard the Boeing Dreamliner fires were from a high charge voltage.
But what this has got to do with MSA charging (extorting) for an approval from suppliers without any spec or test I don't know
John
Old 26-01-18, 13:51

Jim Spencer is on a distinguished road
Hi

Have a bit of experience with Lithiums as my other activity sees lots of us use, and abuse (fast charge and very fast discharge) them in huge numbers.

And yes have seen several fires, normally caused by incorrect charging in one way or another, though impact damage can, of course, cause it too.

I've personally had a starter pack burst into flames - my fault completely I was using a different lead (fitted with a diode) than the one supplied and it was on a car with an alternator (so being overcharged) for maybe 3 - 4 minutes before it went up.

As the car was open topped I managed to yank it out and it proceeded to burn in the road for a few minutes longer, lots of flames lots of smoke.

They're a good product but the potential for operator error is significant IMHO and I only use them when I have too..
I suspect the MSA's stance is exactly the same as my Clubs - homologation of batteries ensures that the importer has done their homework and has all the right paperwork in place for that product to be sold here - protecting the user, and the bloke running the gig - from the possibility of litigation should anything go pear shaped..
BTW - the MSA we're behind the times on this one, we've been doing this for years..
Old 26-01-18, 17:13

Martin F is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.w View Post
Blue book states if battery is fitted in cockpit it should be fitted behind the seat [Section J 5.14.1] so best to move it anyway
Read the whole reg.
J.5.14.1 if located in the driver / passenger compartment, where a passenger / co driver is present the battery must be situated behind the base of the driver's or passenger / co driver's seat.

Not relevant for hillclimbs and sprints, this is only for rallies
Old 26-01-18, 18:34
British Sprint Champ09/10

Nick A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
I'm a big fan of Robot Wars, and having watched the latest excellent series on the Beeb, there were several instances of fires starting when Lithium batteries were short circuited during the fighting, and boy do they produce a lot of smoke, and combustible gasses, which eventually lead to flames when they go wrong? They tended to let them burn themselves out too, certainly there looked to be apprehension from the fire marshals when approaching with extinguishers.

In the Mygale I'm sat with a lead acid battery between my legs which will be a Lithium battery this year. And the consequences of having a shunt, and the battery bursting in to flames, if I'm trapped inside the car, is making me think seriously about relocating it to a sidepod.

Maybe the MSA should be thinking that they are perhaps located away from the driver....

And another issue might be, would on board extinguishers be of any real use if released on to a burning Lithium battery? Or would AFFF just make the fire worse? How do you put out a burning Li battery?
I wasn't happy with having it in the cockpit and currently at the rear of the engine, has been in a side pod, which is where I may now put it again. But certainly not in the cockpit for me personally.
Old 26-01-18, 19:48

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Mine is in the side pod
Old 26-01-18, 21:15

asklepios is on a distinguished road
Strange how for years we accepted a plastic case of acid close to our private parts, knowing full well if the regulator failed and we started to overcharge then an explosive hydrogen gas would be produced. I accept that glass matted and "sealed" batteries mitigated this.
Old 26-01-18, 23:51

jeffwiltshire will become famous soon enough
And not that long ago men went to sea in Submarines which where full of lead-acid batteries. Which sounds fine until you realise that salt water mixed with lead-acid batteries produces chlorine. Think about that while in the enclosed space of a submerged submarine.