Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 13-08-17, 18:02

josbrownlie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redturner37 View Post
I guess your tongue is firmly pressed in your cheek.......
Totally yes.

The rule also states "The heating of tyres, by any method, ...., is prohibited.". For me, strictly speaking, if abiding by the rules and following them to the letter, this is the end of motorsport. The text that follows this paraphrased sentence is supplimentray (sp?) and only muddies the water/confuses the matter.

I guess there will be pleanty if discussions with the MSA at a variety of levels as if affects hillclimbing but more so drag racing, IMO.
Old 13-08-17, 19:03

Dan Friel will become famous soon enough
If this rule change helps to reduce the time taken by some classes to run, then I'm calling it a good move.
Old 13-08-17, 19:12

ben240z is on a distinguished road
A certain Mallock driver who claimed to have the complete Groves BTDBTDBTD holding car proclaimed that when Gurston banned tyre warming, "Hollow would be littered with crashed cars,or worse". Proved wrong emphatically. These views are my own and in no way should be taken as those of the BARC SW
Old 13-08-17, 19:45
Lotus 7 Club - Comp Sec

CaterBram is on a distinguished road
Within our championship, (Lotus Seven Club) we prohibited tyre warming / tyre cleaning for the 2016 season , across all classes, from those using 1A/1B/1C & slicks.

Half our venues had already stopped tyre warming either on safety grounds or environmental grounds.

The general agreement is that beside marginally slower starts it's not a massive difference, and it is a lot easier on the car, and everyone is the same.
Old 13-08-17, 19:55

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
^^^ Exactly! ^^^
Old 13-08-17, 21:03
The Empire Strikes Back..

Clive Austin will become famous soon enough
Nanny state again. I assume the MSA will be providing officials to clean our rear tyres then?
Old 13-08-17, 21:26

Roger Jordan is on a distinguished road
Way back in the mists of time when M&H 61`s were the tyre to have, (remember them?) a certain Andrew Fraser, (the very same chap who now competes in the somewhat more salubrious surroundings of an Aston Martin) put a new pair on the back of his Brabham BT35 and without any warming or even cleaning driving off the startline like your granny on her way to church set a personal best time, fastest time of day (best time if you are in Worcestershire) and if my memory serves me right a new hill record as well.

The even more incredible part was that this was at Tregrehan, if anywhere needed heat in the tyres you would say this was it, as I`m sure any of you who have competed there will agree.

Perhaps as in years gone by the top drivers will have to go back to trialling in the winter to search for grip!! but of course there is no need because everyone seems to have launch control, traction control and goodness knows what else control, now if MSA were to ban electronic aids we would see who could get the car off the line and who couldn`t and if it got rid of the horrible popping, banging and farting so much the better, Wiscombe sounded like a clay pidgeon shoot at times.

Two things come to mind re starts, Roy taming the McRae at a streaming wet Wiscombe, sheer perfection and Clive Bracey in the Vebra at Weston speed trials when for the first and possibly only time it left the line firing on all eight, I think it frightened Clive nearly as much as everybody else, unforgettable if you saw it.
Old 13-08-17, 21:33

ben240z is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Jordan View Post
Way back in the mists of time when M&H 61`s were the tyre to have, (remember them?) a certain Andrew Fraser, (the very same chap who now competes in the somewhat more salubrious surroundings of an Aston Martin) put a new pair on the back of his Brabham BT35 and without any warming or even cleaning driving off the startline like your granny on her way to church set a personal best time, fastest time of day (best time if you are in Worcestershire) and if my memory serves me right a new hill record as well.

The even more incredible part was that this was at Tregrehan, if anywhere needed heat in the tyres you would say this was it, as I`m sure any of you who have competed there will agree.

Perhaps as in years gone by the top drivers will have to go back to trialling in the winter to search for grip!! but of course there is no need because everyone seems to have launch control, traction control and goodness knows what else control, now if MSA were to ban electronic aids we would see who could get the car off the line and who couldn`t and if it got rid of the horrible popping, banging and farting so much the better, Wiscombe sounded like a clay pidgeon shoot at times.

Two things come to mind re starts, Roy taming the McRae at a streaming wet Wiscombe, sheer perfection and Clive Bracey in the Vebra at Weston speed trials when for the first and possibly only time it left the line firing on all eight, I think it frightened Clive nearly as much as everybody else, unforgettable if you saw it.
There speaks an old school hill climber. Long may they live
Old 13-08-17, 22:00
The Empire Strikes Back..

Clive Austin will become famous soon enough
The physics of the warming argument is pretty marginal. More to do with cleaning and, tbh, the overall drama and spectacle. We could all go and do something worthy with our time and money which didn't squander the planet's resources. However, we choose to go racing. Avoiding spinning up the rears is a nod to political correctness - mainly because of people who bought houses near existing race venues and then moaned about it. If the MSA have banned tyre warming because these whingers are threatening to shut down our sport then we should at least be honest about it. I live at the top of TWF and the louder the better! Who stands for our right to hear a roaring V8 on open pipes? Not many - they are all too busy knitting their own sandals and worrying about how they can maximise their vote in the next NIMBY local election...
Old 13-08-17, 22:50

rustyracer is on a distinguished road
Well said and yes the louder the better.