Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 18-10-17, 01:39

deanspoors is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr3rad View Post
PM RobertT he will have all the answers re SR8
It was RobertT's car I was interested in as I saw it up for sale for £35k I thought it was an absolute bargain (and probably still is), but I vastly underestimated the cost of keeping one of these on the track/potential costs should something fail with engine/gearbox. As Dan said, an SR3 will probably be more fitting for me, at least there are several engine builders out there for them (possible for inspection and rebuild by myself even) and the integral gearbox is cheaper to overhaul/upgrade/replace. I could even fit my current engine/ecu/paddleshift/traction control and have an SR3 weapon(if the SR3 chassis is cable of 380bhp that is).

Does anyone on here know of any companies providing aftermarket items for Radical, i.e. to replace the lifed parts, uprights, suspension components, etc or does Radical hold the monopoly on parts? I see there is/was a company (ATG) in USA which provided an extensive catalogue of parts for the SR3 at very reasonable prices.
Old 18-10-17, 08:06

stiglet is on a distinguished road
This is helpful

http://www.mtcracing.co.uk/radical-spares-list/

E.G. it took me to GBE who are making some driveshafts for our SR3 which we'll keep as spares.
Old 18-10-17, 09:26

Thats great Stiglet! one step closer to affordable ownership. Don't suppose anyone knows of a wishbone or upright supplier, £850 per corner for an upright from Radical and I've come across three cases of failed uprights over the internet so far.
Old 18-10-17, 11:19

david.seaton will become famous soon enough david.seaton will become famous soon enough
How about a Pilbeam Sports Libre car ?
Mine is for sale - 480 bhp BMW M5 engine which should go on forever !
I was also horrified from past experience of Hart engine costs, so built this to have as much performance but use a lightly modified road car engine to ensure that engine rebuild costs all but vanished.
If the worst happens you can buy a complete M5 engine from a breakers, swap over a few parts and all for less than the cheapest refresh of an SR8 engine !
Old 18-10-17, 11:55

Lovely looking car David, and looks like great fun to drive, had a quick look on (Yootoob) at your videos. I'm looking for something newish and well supported. I like the thought of being able to phone up a supplier and get a part in a couple of weeks.

Dean
Old 18-10-17, 13:38

ancillotti rob is on a distinguished road
Pilbeam are very much still going. So parts wouldn’t be an issue I would have thought. Force do a nice sports car that would be a good bit lighter than the radical.
Old 18-10-17, 16:37

david.seaton will become famous soon enough david.seaton will become famous soon enough
Parts are easy from Pilbeam.
They have all the drawings for every part of every car they have made, and are very nice to deal with.
Old 18-10-17, 21:02

for info for anyone else who may be interested, the reply from Radical, technical dept.

Hi Dean,

Chassis – should be happy for several seasons of racing provided it’s been well maintained, kept cleaned and dry and not had any damage.

Engine – 40 hour rebuild

Gearbox – 40 hour rebuild as long as it’s been regularly inspected through the season

Uprights – we would advise 60 hours front and rear but many customers do run longer

Discs – dependent on use/ driver should last 20 hours

Bag tank – for racing check it’s still in date, same with belts

Basically, given the age of the car if it’s been well used everything should have been replaced by now, so ask for records.
Old 18-10-17, 22:15

sr3rad is on a distinguished road
'dependent on use/driver should last 20 hours'
That's me finished then!
Old 19-10-17, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanspoors View Post
Rebuild cost from Radical for a good running engine is 6-7k, slightly cheaper from RLM 4-5k. And as Dan mentioned above all components are lifed, but didn't get exact lifespans over the phone. Got the impression if you need to ask it's not for you.
RLM actually got back to me today, this is the reply; (extract)

Even for track use only we would still recommend 40 running hour intervals
between rebuilds.

An average rebuild on the V8 engine is normally between £5000 - £6000 + VAT,
depending on what is found once the engine has been stripped. This can vary
by quite a margin if any major components are required.

We would not supply the parts only to rebuild the engine and we would
recommend that the rebuild is carried out by qualified companies only due to
the unique nature of this engine.

Now I would say I am fortune enough to have a high disposable income, but the type of money a SR8 demands in maintenance is something else. Is it only the very very wealthy that use these?

Another point made by Radical (not to be confused with RLM above) is that they recommend engine rebuild at 40hours or 1 year, whichever is soonest. If someone tries to keep up with the service intervals of these cars they'll be looking at over £15k a year easily. Is the car worth that sort of money? I doubt it.