Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Projects Forum for the discussion and showing of Uphill Racers members projects

Old 18-05-17, 19:27

webby will become famous soon enough
Surprised you found time to drive in between taking so many photos!! Good pics though.
Old 18-05-17, 22:38

dopdog will become famous soon enough
wow graham is the picture master
Old 24-05-17, 06:26
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
Bit of fun, I have run Pete's incar footage with mine from our two fastest runs on Sunday at Snetterton.

My extra horses helps me pull away on the straights, but he reels me in at the hairpin on the first lap. But then I build a lead and with warm tyres start to push the car faster around the bends, finishing .87s quicker.

My brake pads leave a lot to be desired as I have to get on the brakes earlier than Pete to slow down. So I've got some better ones to fit for Pembrey.

https://youtu.be/rpwwujFwpuM
Old 05-06-17, 11:40
#UNLEARN

First visit to Pembrey at the weekend, with the alternative track layout on Sunday, so learning two tracks in two days, what could go wrong?

Er, it rained, a lot, which really mucked things up, and on Saturday I finished 14th in the BSC, so no run offs. No one else had one either, as we ran out of time.

On Sunday, again, the heavens opened for the first timed runs, so with nothing to loose, I cleaned the tyres with a heat gun, and chucked it round in the dry track for T2, and qualified 11th for the run offs.

I then improved by two further seconds, on Run Off 1 and 2, and finished 10th overall. Happy with that.

The car was suffering terminal understeer all weekend, the tyres are shagged, and I'm really needing the new aero from DJ now, as I'm pushing far harder than before, and the mechanical grip just isnt there.

This is my Run Off 2 in the afternoon. Note the rubber flying off the fronts and the lockup. I still improved

https://youtu.be/iDpbFKGqXEM
Old 06-06-17, 12:15
#UNLEARN

Pembrey June 2017

My first visit to the Welsh circuit, walking the course on Friday evening, it seemed to be a fast yet technical track, with lots of opportunities for full throttle and therefore high speeds over the two lap course.

Saturday unfortunately was beset by scattered rain showers in the morning. After the first damp practice runs, for the second practice runs, many people elected not to go out, as the rain was getting so heavy. [You need to do at least one practice run before being allowed to compete in the official timed runs in the afternoon]. As Iíd already completed my first practice run, I decided Iíd sit the second one out.

However, towards the end of second practice, as the track started drying out, the call went out for anyone who hadnít taken their second practice runs to go out, and many people, myself included, benefited. This however, introduced quite a delay in proceedings, with all cars doing two laps of the track, and with two cars on the circuit at the same time, it was quite a challenge to get people out.

I was typically sat in the car, in the assembly area, for around 20-25 minutes, gradually edging closer to the start line. With all the double driven cars being worked on, and going in front of those who were queueing it became obvious that a rapid turnaround wasnít going to be happen. [The first practice runs took 2.5 hours to complete, and the second practice runs took 2 hours, and eventually finished at 1:22pm]

After lunch, later in the afternoon, we completed our first timed runs [which completed at 4:15pm], and I was sitting in 10th overall with a 104.89s, but after the second timed runs I had dropped down to 14th fastest. The issue facing the organisers was that the 6pm noise curfew was rapidly approaching, and after a car dropped its sump oil a few minutes before 6pm, and with the organisers facing a large clean up exercise, they decided to end the event, meaning around 20 queueing drivers werenít allowed their second timed runs at all. This also meant that there would be no Top 12 run offs for those drivers who had qualified, and their finishing positions would instead be based on their fastest two previous timed runs. This decision was met by frustration, but we all had the Sunday to look forward to, and with several championships absent on the second day, there was a chance we would make better progress, and get the Top 12 run offs in as well.

My nemesis, on my first visit to Pembrey, was the one bend, before Honda, that people kept telling me was Ďflatí. I didnít manage flat. Though I really did try, and on my final timed run, I was convinced Iíd taken it flat, until I checked the data logger, and it showed Iíd lifted 10%. Unfinished business. I was determined to take it flat, but with Saturday over, I had to set it as another objective for Sunday.

On Sunday, I woke up to the sound of rain, and sure enough, torrential rain in the morning caused chaos. For first practice on the new track layout, I went out on the wet tyres, and tried the new section of the track out, which included a tricky 90 degree left bend, followed by a long right hander in to the Esses. For the second practice, on a drying track and with the sun shining, I joined the queue on wets, and such were the delays in getting people on to the start line, that after sitting in the car for 25 minutes in the queue, the skies darkened, and the heavens opened, and I splashed around the track in a heavy downpour, with traction control helping make it a steady but not too slow a run. Practice is practice though, and it was more important to improve my pace through the new section than find the limits everywhere else. The first competitive timed runs then happened about 2 hours later, and once again, it was wet. I was again, quicker than before, but with little wet weather experience at Pembrey, it was a case of getting round and recording a time.

So, lunch break finally called at 2pm, and with the sun now shining, temperatures rising, and the track drying out rapidly, I fitted my worn front slicks on the car, and used the heat gun and scraper to try to scrape off all the dead rubber. By 2:45pm I was ready, and we set off on our second timed runs. This was it. I had to throw caution to the wind if I were to improve on my one dry run to qualify for the Top 12 run offs. And I only had this one run to finally take that corner flat, because if I didnít qualify for the Top 12, this would be my last run of the day, and I wouldnít be back for another year.

So with a fully dry track and the sun shining, I launched the car off the line, and I wrestled the car round, battling the understeer, and with buttocks firmly clenched, I took the corner flat, straight lining it at 125MPH, and reaching 140MPH on the end of the start finish straight. And doing so meant Iíd managed to improve by 24seconds, meaning Iíd finished 11th overall with a 115.56s. Thatís it, Iíd done it, Iíd qualified again in 11th place.

But having qualified, it meant I now I had to do two more runs, to see where Iíd finish in the Top 12. Iíd qualified 11th before, on two other events, and Iíd always finished 12th. I wasnít going to let that happen again. So I added 3litres of fuel to the tank, got back in the car, and lined up for the run offs. Others were fitting their Run Off slicks, which I didnít have. I shall have to investigate getting another set of tyres just for the run offs.

My first Top 12 run, I went even faster, and flat again through that corner, with confidence growing, but the front tyres were now badly overheating and were totally knackered. Iíd done a 114.55s run, which placed me 10th overall. But during the run, the dashboard had frozen, and I had no idea what gear I was in. Iíd had to start counting gears, to make sure I was in the right one for the corners. After a quick check, and it turned out to be the flexible cable that goes in to the back of the dash, it had a broken wire inside, so I rerouted the cable to relieve the strain on it, and it was sufficient to allow it to start working again, and I lined up and set off on my second run, with everything to prove. I again wrestled with the car as it understeered under hard acceleration on the corners, I took the corners faster than before, kept 100% throttle wherever I could, and I crossed the line with a 113.88s run, almost another second faster, despite a lock up at the new right hand bend, which I thought had ruined the run. And then after a short anxious wait for the others to do their runs, relief when I found Iíd maintained my 10th overall, to score 3 more points in the championship.
What a great venue, and what good luck to get the sunshine when it counted.

Next event is the Aintree Sprint at the end of June, which isnít a BSC round, but itís a great place to go, with some very high speeds, and Iíll be using the day to play with the setup. I still donít have the DJ front and rear wings I ordered in February, these are still being made, but when they do arrive, understeer should definitely be a thing of the past.
Old 06-06-17, 13:29

postman is on a distinguished road
The first time I went to Curborough, in a bike engined single seater, after first practise John Corbyn of Jedi fame told me that the first corner could be taken flat. 'Crikey' I thought, ' I guess I'll give it a try then'. Unfortunately what John called the first corner was just a 'curve' to me and didn't count as a corner as I could take it flat. Consequently I went barrelling into what I considered to be the first corner (corner 2 according to everybody else) one gear too high with the throttle confidently nailed to the floor.....
I actually survived the experience with extensive use of the inner rumble strip and an exit which didn't include any of the recommended route...
Incidentally, I never could really understand missing practise runs because conditions aren't good - or indeed missing second timed runs because it's too wet to improve. We drive because it's a bundle of fun to drive these cars and I would hate to miss a single moment of seat time whatever the timing clock is going to say.
Old 07-06-17, 18:14
#UNLEARN

Pictures and videos from Pembrey can be found here

If anyone has any pics or vids of my Mygale, I'd be happy to see them...
Old 14-06-17, 12:22
#UNLEARN

The dash4pro went back to RT last week, after it froze during timed runs at Pembrey, and this morning they said 'no faults found' despite me telling them the cable was faulty. After a brief discussion, they've realised I told them as much on the RMA, and the cable is now being replaced. Which is good.

I've got some epoxy resin on order, so I can repair the rather large hole in the diffuser from the abuse it took at Pembrey. I'm also replacing the very tired jabroc, and I'll be raising the diffuser up an inch, adding more wire supports, and raising the rear of the car by 20mm to try to dial out the terminal understeer. I'll be able to see the results at Aintree on the 24th.
Old 20-06-17, 07:00
#UNLEARN

Repaired diffuser, which I've now mounted properly for the first time to the underside which will raise it up and should also prevent any contact with the ground again.

The dash is repaired and is on its way back.

All on course for getting everything ready for Aintree
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170618_150218_340.jpg (116.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170619_170526_368.jpg (115.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 21-06-17, 09:12
#UNLEARN

Pulled an all nighter last night, well 11:45pm, which was late enough. The Ti blocks arrived, so I recessed them in to the wooden plank, so they stand proud about 2mm above the surface, meaning they're the first point of contact. Drilling them was quite tough. I used the slowest speed on the pillar drill with a fresh drill bit, then took my time with the countersink, and I'm pleased how they turned out.

The diffuser is now supported with shorter stays, to keep the central section from dropping, and I've added some new cable stays too to reduce the flex. Tonight I'll complete the fixings, and refit the paint ball bottle and catch tank, and make sure the bodywork fits properly.

The Dash4pro was returned from RT, with a new front panel and coiled cable. Top work from RT and I highly recommend them, again for a fast turnaround and quality repair.