Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 23-12-17, 20:35

Darvie is on a distinguished road
Item24,
Would you say that to the people beaten by the russian drug cheats?.
Old 24-12-17, 09:25

sr3rad is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't advocate it at all Darvie. I mearly suggest it may be an explanation for the number of top cars with skirts.
Old 24-12-17, 12:51

asklepios is on a distinguished road
I thought that skirts were outlawed as bumps induced large variations in downforce with safety implications if relying on said downforce in ten tenths corner, say.

Is it true that only a "certified flat area" can be used? Is the chief scrutineer not the judge of fact?

I have twice been inspected by the said official with a 40mm block on the end of a stick. Effectively a go/no-go gauge . I welcomed the chat he had in the ears of those who were trying to bend the rules and put their own safety and the smooth running of an event at risk.
Old 24-12-17, 13:21

St Eval is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by asklepios View Post
I thought that skirts were outlawed as bumps induced large variations in downforce with safety implications if relying on said downforce in ten tenths corner, say.

Is it true that only a "certified flat area" can be used? Is the chief scrutineer not the judge of fact?

I have twice been inspected by the said official with a 40mm block on the end of a stick. Effectively a go/no-go gauge . I welcomed the chat he had in the ears of those who were trying to bend the rules and put their own safety and the smooth running of an event at risk.
He would have to be pretty good. We had ours checked at Croft several years ago, in the garage 38mm on a flat patch 45mm, see my bit about floors a few posts back. Try measuring off tarmac and see what variables you get.

Roy
Old 24-12-17, 14:45

Roy, understand your point. But have to apply a degree of common sense in measurement. That applied , can the chief scrut. not say "it is or is not"? We can subsequently dispute it, but for the time till appealed can he not say non compliant? My experience was that the vexatiously "at it" guys were picked up. Agree that agonising over 1 mm would be a total PITA
Old 24-12-17, 15:35

St Eval is on a distinguished road
My point is that if he doesn't have a flat floor (find a certified one at a hill climb) what would happen if you were thrown out and the car was legal?
I know that our car is always at 45mm front.

Roy
Old 24-12-17, 18:49

Roy, I did understand. My principal question was whether the chief scrutineer NEEDS a flat floor. He is judge of facts and if it were a 0.5 MM. clearance ( skirts etc), then surely he can make that judgement without a flat floor( as could a casual observer).
Old 25-12-17, 15:08

wil_ker will become famous soon enough
Not sure about this flat floor measuring. Who sets their car up on a certified flat floor?

I know my garage isn't certified, but that's what I use. So impossible to argue the height when I've not certified the height myself.

Needs a reasonable approach from competitors and Scroots. Which is what seems to happen as far as I can tell...