Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-18, 11:36
Nacho (Sports) Libre

grboulter is on a distinguished road
Well, you have hit the nail on the head Graham....for you it is all about ratio's.

If you spend all that time, money and effort adapting a "road transmission" you are stuck with limited ratio's available. (I feel your pain! -Haha!)
The Boxster for example has large wheels, so is geared to suit that rolling radius in addition to the rev's.
-How does your tyre size compare...?

The FGC is totally variable, so can be tailored to you and your car perfectly.
-At a later date you could even drop the sequential conversion onto the back of it if you want to get all "modern"!

I am sure there are used ex-Pilbeam FGC's or similar currently available in the hillclimb world, so they may already have good ratio's, diff etc. to meet your needs.
Otherwise, find a Palmer or Prosport team and hoover one up from there.

You have built a much admired RACING car Graham, time to do the rest of your hard work justice and fit a RACING transmission to finish it off once and for all.
-You will probably even "add value" to the car as well.
(A carefully designed adapter plate will also solve your starter motor issue as well.)

It's a no-brainer isn't it......??

Kind wishes, G.

Last edited by grboulter; 04-01-18 at 12:03.
Old 04-01-18, 14:43

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
Warning:
This contributor above is a BAD influence!
Old 04-01-18, 18:09
Not-so-slowboy

SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough
I'm with what Grboulter just said - racing car needs a racing gearbox to finish it off.
Old 04-01-18, 20:48

You are both right, but it goes for the engine too, both are basically road items, esp the lazy engine, as in 6300 red line.
To make the engine Rev to say 7500 would cost about 5K.
An FTR actually in the car would cost approx 10K, maybe 12.

None of these are viable and would never get Financial Approval.

Maybe I'm therefore stuck up a gum tree!
Old 04-01-18, 21:38

Mike Wood is on a distinguished road
Graham

911 engine with a racing car gearbox sounds good, and presumably both saleable if you wanted to change running gear or if in future sell as a rolling chassis and sell engine and gearbox separately.

Your comment about the Lola's original Pinto and Hewland Mk9 makes me wonder whether you fancy a technical change of direction, such as VW/Audi 1.8T engine and matching gearbox, although power engine upgrades and whether the gearbox could handle this plus available choice of ratios. And could you do this without preventing a future purchaser being able to reinstall a Pinto and Mk9?

Why not just buy a low-powered saloon, sports car or Formula car (e.g. FFord, F Vauxhall Junior, 750 Formula, Austin 7 special, Mk1 MX5, Fiat Cinquecento Sporting) for a new budget challenge? And run the Lola at a few events? Or sell all, and compete and modify a Lotus Elise? Or even buy a budget Boxster with an MoT for the gearbox for the Lola but compete in it in road car classes first?

Cheers
Mike
Old 04-01-18, 22:19

Lateral thinking!

27 years ago I started hill climbing in an old 911 which I still have.
After 13 years moved to an Impreza with no-rubber chassis and 370 bhp on slicks, a great car, neither were trailered, both driven there and back.
Brilliant years with good successes.
Then came the challenge of the Lola and then some.

AUDI 1.8 turbo and slick box is a great option with easy 350 bhp and in 560Kg not too stressed.
Still needs water no turbo inter cooler rads etc.

I find it hard to shake off the Porsche content tbh.
Also, not ready to go to a good tin top though my choice would be another Impreza, some good ones around.

Boxsters are great, I have one! This is fuelling the Boxster drive train....
Old 04-01-18, 23:37
tyrekicker

dennis.doyle is on a distinguished road
Just a thought

Is your problem definitely the gearbox itself or might it just be the linkage? Why do I think this might possibly be the case?

First off, I can’t say I’ve ever heard that the 911 box was designed by Satan then implemented & tested by a “bunch-o-tossers”. Just how bad was your old 911?

Second, & I could well be wrong here, is the drive train now completely back-to-front, i.e. engine, (upside-down) diff, gearbox rather than gearbox, diff, engine as in the original installation? That would make the linkage more of an issue.

Finally, the linkage on the Lola-Porsche must be a one-off, snaking underneath/around the flat-six engine to get to the gearbox. Obviously do-able, but might need some tweaking?

However you look at it, checking out the linkage for slop or UJs going through crazy angles has got to be easier than investigating engine, box or car swops.
Old 04-01-18, 23:51

Mike Wood is on a distinguished road
Dennis - good idea to fix the problem!

Gear linkage - perhaps making sure slop is reduced, maybe using some of these: http://race.parts/Catalogue/Drivetrain/Universal-Joints or helicopter control components, as well as sorting the linkage route.

Cheers
Mike
Old 05-01-18, 00:21

I've spent ages sorting the linkage over the last years to ease the issue.
Change gear slowly (ie relaxed road trip drive) and the box will be good. I have the same design box in my old 911, so I have true back-to-back experience.

The Lola originally had a Hewland, so all the 'gate' was in that box, today, it is no different, no gate on the gear knob.
The H is well defined but cannot be rushed. The lever ration of the road gear lever and the Lola's is very different, the 911 is far more easy to change (less effort).
The Porsche 915 box was designed to be rear engine AND mid-engine, you simply swop the CWP over to one side or the other of the diff carrier to reconfigure the drive.

The current linkage is remarkably straight and has 3 helicopter joints, all new.
The gearbox is expertly rebuilt (he also did my road 911's box) but the design does have a lot of free motion, all gears are located by ball detents but there is still 'slop' but by design, not wear.

The awkward bit is the guidance of the linkage at the gearbox, all rose joints but some play there or nothing could move!
I can see one change that would improve the feel but the one silencer is in the way of a direct 'route'.
I'll sketch the layout later tomorrow.

I don't think this is a unique issue, I think every Hewland installation has this but the dog box is designed for racing just as Graham just said.

As a foot note; the position of the AUDI and Impreza shift input shaft is on the wrong side of the box to connect to the gear lever, so that would be a fresh problem to crack, possibly by cable shift, just as the boxster's box is!