Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 15-12-17, 21:00

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
IMO speak to the clutch people, there is no doubt they can do a lot more than what is listed on a catalogue.
Old 17-12-17, 10:21

Mad Prof is on a distinguished road
Cerametallic sprung clutch disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Just had a look at the Helix website. The 56-1000 (3 paddle) & 56-2000 (4 paddle) series paddles require the use of a Helix cover plate.
Yes Hillman, you are quite right. I use:
Clutch Cover: 63-210 (184mm lug drive) fitted with “R” springs 220 lbf-ft min torque capacity (my engine 180 lbf-ft max) and mounted with NAS bolts and K-nuts.

You also need to consider the clutch release bearing.

Happy Christmas all
Old 18-12-17, 13:00

chevman47 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for your help. I have now decided to fit the single plate sintered AP clutch.
Old 18-12-17, 18:49

Eric_M is on a distinguished road
Chevman
I have run an 184mm organic plate with a Quatermaster cover for the last few years. It gives a beautifully controlled start, and not a hint of slip once up and running. I changed from an AP sintered type after braking two Imp Transaxles. Since changing to organic I have not broken a box.
The main downside is the covers have a much higher leverage ratio to give the clamp force and being designed for sintered type plates, they cannot accomodate much wear. I ended up machining 1mm off the lugs of the cover and making my own shims up, so I can adjust for wear. I can now make a plate last a season, but I have to remove the engine every 5 events and re-shim the clutch. I have also found a place to reline the plate for £40.
It seems to work - a 1.97 sec start with a 2 wheel drive 49 year old Hillman Imp at Loton Park this year, seems to illustrate that.

Eric
Old 18-12-17, 19:35

chevman47 is on a distinguished road
That,s impressive, Eric.
Old 18-12-17, 20:04

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
True..something that can easily be overlooked. Organic/kevlar type clutches can be slipped very easily, as can a normal road car.

When launches are all important, having a clutch you have a lot of control over can be a very good thing.
There are even various products to try and regulate the release of the clutch clamp to assist with launching. Which will be easier with an organic vs a metallic type disc.

You could say carbon is somewhere in the middle of those....but in my experience with carbon and clutches...that can be a whole can of worms