Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > Midland Hillclimb Championship
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-17, 10:54
AKA Rich Danby

Dad's Lad will become famous soon enough
I was at Harewood but had looked at the SW entry list before and was expecting a late finish - using the maximum entries in the regs worked out as 440 runs but using the entry list worked out as 594 on Saturday. They had less entries to the Midland event so took more 1 day entries but possibly didn't take into account that those would need twice as many runs. So I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it finished at an ok time.

In the end there were 549 runs so it could have gone on about 50 mins longer without non-starters/withdrawals. By comparison the same meeting last year had 750 runs over the two days!

A positive from it is it shows that running practice in order isn't any slower than random order, which some believed and I think might have been blamed if the meeting had ran late. I just hope they don't think that because they got away with that size entry this time that they can do it in the future without risking a late finish.

If it was to run late then I agree it is best to drop the 2nd practice given there is one on Sunday but it is more important to try to avoid that situation. Otherwise the Sunday is likely to run very late unless you also drop 3rd practice! i.e. if 2nd practice is dropped then it is because 2 * midland + 4 * 1 day runs is too many but on Sunday you would have 3 * midland + 4 * 1 day + 2 * runoffs to fit in. Ok the Sunday 1 day entry was smaller this time but that might not be the case at other events.
Old 09-05-17, 10:57
Return of The Sith

team knifedge will become famous soon enough team knifedge will become famous soon enough
I am being positive about it - and hope my comments are taken thus....
Old 09-05-17, 11:28

alilowe is on a distinguished road
Rich

I think you're broadly right, and that is of course the risk. Any significant delays and we may have had to put the cars with lights on last!

These meetings last year I think I was home for 5-5.30 including the obligatory post fixture beer.

I'd be interested to see a spectators point of view about bang for buck on these things.

As with all things - there are compromises to be made
Old 09-05-17, 12:06

Westwood will become famous soon enough
I think the biggest problem on the day, was the slow release of the cars. At a number of times during the day the cars were being released after the previous car had finished their run!!

They should be releasing the cars after the previous one has cleared the esses and this clearly was not happening. It was obvious to a lot of people that the meeting was being slowed on purpose.

I'll get my coat.......
Old 09-05-17, 12:16

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
You're not the only competitor to see that.

The sat 2nd practice for the Midland Gang was worded in the finals that they might have to be cancelled if the day faltered.This was underlined by the running order of the 2nd session, fastest first and if time allowed, the next slowest etc etc. So potential Top 12 runners would get 3 runs if time allowed.

Shelsley is steeped in tradition and change must be hard to implement, few like changes ESP if there is a risk on the day going wrong.
Sat was a high risk day for the whole organisation, but it worked despite some glitches like Duncan says.

Bloody good effort IMHO.
I hope program order will be kept, but it's not a big deal, just feels right to me.
Old 09-05-17, 13:12

alilowe is on a distinguished road
Who you calling slow?!

...fair point
Old 09-05-17, 21:12

Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by team knifedge View Post
we would generally be the quickest runners and hence utilise the least time..

I agree you may be the quickest runners But that does not necessarily translate into the least time . The time to run multiple cars on any hill is governed by the interval between each car , not the actual time for each car to get to the top

Basically its X times the average interval between starts Plus the time of the last car in the batch . Where X is the number of cars in the batch.

The Paddock and Startline marshals are crucial to this and they certainly rose to the challenge last weekend.

Hasta

The exception is Curborough where there is only one car on the track at a time
Old 09-05-17, 21:20

Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad's Lad View Post
In the end there were 549 runs so it could have gone on about 50 mins longer without non-starters/withdrawals. By comparison the same meeting last year had 750 runs over the two days!
549 on Saturday - 450 on Sunday That 999 in total

Actually its was 452 on Sunday cos we missed 2 first thing . Apologies to the 2 drivers .

Hasta
Old 10-05-17, 06:39
Return of The Sith

team knifedge will become famous soon enough team knifedge will become famous soon enough
I stand corrected on time...as it's not my strong point....
as stated I think o/a a great w/e with some fine tuning required
Old 10-05-17, 07:01

Greasynipple is on a distinguished road
Sounds like they have cocked up something that has worked absolutely fine for at least three decades, where is the benefit of running practice in program order? It's practice and counts for nothing except practice! The laid back attitude at shelsley has always been a huge part of the appeal of it, I'd certainly sooner run out of order and get two practice runs, it's a fast daunting hill and to get the feel of the track in one practice run is hard there... and then straight into competition runs.... that's why people crash! so no, second practice is not expendible, in fact doing the Manx classic the other week if you didn't complete two practice runs successfully you didn't qualify at all