Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 16-01-18, 22:18

apexseal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by asklepios View Post
A bit like if you avoided the sun for 7 years and took no alcohol or nicotine. So, better than might have been , but you would still have aged.
Thank, you're right there.
Old 16-01-18, 22:24

salexander is on a distinguished road
As fyrth suggests, warm weather can mask the failings of old tyres to a certain extent. Particularly true of rears when you can sometimes get a bit of heat into them from tyre-warming. My experience is that the handling balance tends to go AWOL and you waste time trying to chase the problem, when a set of new tyres is the real answer!
Old 17-01-18, 10:21

webby will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=fyrth;
Mid summer, when the sun is relentlessly beating down.....![/QUOTE]

I must have missed that........!!
Old 17-01-18, 11:53

sevaun will become famous soon enough
My experience over 7 seasons of using A15 and A92 slicks:
I always dress/shave/scrape/heat gun my tyres when there is an obvious build up of "dead" rubber. In my experience this is caused (mainly in the fronts) by overworking cold tyres - a largely unavoidable occurrence as we have to cane the poor super soft things from the first corner on. What also doesn't help, particularly on small single seaters with a light front end, is lack of loading on the tyres causing excessive amounts of slip which shears the surface of cold tyres. Of course once the shearing has taken place the surface rubber breaks away and marbles. This situation only gets worse as one progresses further into the run causing further overheating and degredation of the tyres - a catch 22 situation. I have experimented with running consecutive runs without and with shaving the tyre tread and have found performance is always better when fresh rubber is presented to the track. On one occasion when I did 3 consecutive runs at Harewood with severely marbeled front tyres I actually understeered completely off the track at Farmhouse - something I'd not done before or since in perhaps over 300 runs there!
Now I wonder if anyone who doesn't have the need for tyre shaving either has a perfect set-up, tyre warmers in the paddock or (no offence)maybe needs to push a little harder?
Of course I could be wrong and I might well be simply over-driving a badly set-up car, but if that was the case then so must a host of other slick shod competitors who can be seen at every meeting scraping and planing away at their tyres between runs.

Rich
Old 17-01-18, 13:08

No Imagination will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevaun View Post
My experience over 7 seasons of using A15 and A92 slicks:
I always dress/shave/scrape/heat gun my tyres when there is an obvious build up of "dead" rubber. In my experience this is caused (mainly in the fronts) by overworking cold tyres - a largely unavoidable occurrence as we have to cane the poor super soft things from the first corner on. What also doesn't help, particularly on small single seaters with a light front end, is lack of loading on the tyres causing excessive amounts of slip which shears the surface of cold tyres. Of course once the shearing has taken place the surface rubber breaks away and marbles. This situation only gets worse as one progresses further into the run causing further overheating and degredation of the tyres - a catch 22 situation. I have experimented with running consecutive runs without and with shaving the tyre tread and have found performance is always better when fresh rubber is presented to the track. On one occasion when I did 3 consecutive runs at Harewood with severely marbeled front tyres I actually understeered completely off the track at Farmhouse - something I'd not done before or since in perhaps over 300 runs there!
Now I wonder if anyone who doesn't have the need for tyre shaving either has a perfect set-up, tyre warmers in the paddock or (no offence)maybe needs to push a little harder?
Of course I could be wrong and I might well be simply over-driving a badly set-up car, but if that was the case then so must a host of other slick shod competitors who can be seen at every meeting scraping and planing away at their tyres between runs.

Rich
Indeed, a peculiarity of the Harewood track layout, heat gun and scraper on the front tyres after each run on a warm day for me. I do all 4 tyres between meetings and in my view it does make the grip more consistant.