Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Sprint > Club Sprint
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 23-10-10, 12:20

blue is on a distinguished road
Too many trophies

I've felt for a little while now that there are too many trophies awarded in our sport. I recently went to events which gave awards for the winners of 1 or 2 car classes!

Surely an award should mean something so why not adopt 1 award for every 4 (or 5?) class competitors. This adds value to each award given and will help control costs. If clubs feel the need to award small class winners then why not give a decent club keyring, pen or badge as a token award.

Some clubs do follow these guidelines I know.

What do others think?
Old 23-10-10, 14:32

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Liverpool Motor Club budget for each class to have a minimum of a 1st place trophy. We only determine how many 2nd & 3rd place trophies we need once the Entry List for an event is closed.

I personally think that the clubs who do not award at least one trophy per class are being penny-pinching!

As for the comment "an award should mean something" what about the guy who runs solo in his class and still breaks the class record? To give him a Key ring would be derisive.

I remember back in the 1970s at Harewood the competitors were asked to mark on their entry forms their preference for either a trophy or cash should they be fortunate enough to come in the first three.

Last edited by Steve Wilkinson; 23-10-10 at 14:35. Reason: Additional comment added.
Old 23-10-10, 15:13

darcia1 is on a distinguished road
What to do with the trophy.... i have kept the ones that are special to me though the ones for class wins i have peeled off the plaque and put it on large picture frame with a picture of the car. the trophy collection minus plaque then goes to a special school for kids the teachers then give them out as rewards ... the kids love it... one year i gave a school 25 trophies.... Hopfully not to off topic
Old 23-10-10, 17:03
Official cake tester

Rescue Dude will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcia1 View Post
the trophy collection minus plaque then goes to a special school for kids the teachers then give them out as rewards ... the kids love it... one year i gave a school 25 trophies.... Hopfully not to off topic
They'd certainly mean something over here.

We have about thirty in each class.

I'll get me coat.
Old 23-10-10, 19:54

James Williams is on a distinguished road
Its a tricky one this. If I turned up at a meeting with only 3 in my class and the other 2 were say FF (no offence intended chaps and chapesses) then perhaps I may feel that a trophy wasn't needed.
However, if it was Will Hall and Eynon Price as the other 2 in the class, and somehow or other I beat them both (highly unlikely I know) then I would probably remember that trophy ad the day I went really really well.
For me awards pop up perhaps once a year if I am lucky so I think at least a 1st in class award should be on offer and then subsequent trophies should maybe dependant on class size.

James

Last edited by James Williams; 23-10-10 at 19:56. Reason: spelling
Old 24-10-10, 10:32

maycontainNUTS is on a distinguished road
As James has said above, some trophies mean much more than others. Having had many years of happy motorsport, I have two large cabinets full of trophies. However the two that have the best memories and that I cherish the most are both for 2nd in class. In fact one is so small you could hardly use it as an egg cup, but it has pride of place 'cos it was the first I ever won!
Old 24-10-10, 10:40

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycontainNUTS View Post
As James has said above, some trophies mean much more than others. Having had many years of happy motorsport, I have two large cabinets full of trophies. However the two that have the best memories and that I cherish the most are both for 2nd in class. In fact one is so small you could hardly use it as an egg cup, but it has pride of place 'cos it was the first I ever won!
In my cabinet there is a small plastic discoloured trophy (also a second in class) which was my first award! I should have got one the previous year at the same event but the large numbers in class were due to (a) last minute entries and (b) some transfers of class at Scrutineering. Never-the-less my little plastic cup sits proudly in the cabinet.

Old 24-10-10, 11:16

Ian Johnson is on a distinguished road
My 1st was best Novice in my very first Race in 2009.............sits pride of place in the glass Cabinet now and forever
Old 24-10-10, 13:09

blue is on a distinguished road
I too have my first ever trophies from both racing and speed events and, like others here, I cherish them.

This is not quite the point I was making though. A trophy for first in class hardly means anything if no-one else was in that class - yes I know we can't help that we are in a class of 1 (or 2) drivers.

On Steve's earlier point about the driver who breaks the class record in a class of one - well the award still says First In Class - not New Class Record so still does not fit the bill. I find those presentations when only 1 car was in the class and the driver is called forward to receive a trophy a little embarrassing.

The other point is this - Do we really expect clubs who, these days, may not be getting a full entry to supply all these trophies when a more sensible approach would help to keep costs in check?
Old 24-10-10, 15:37

MrsSJF is on a distinguished road
We've dealt with this by stating the winner of any Class with less than 3 entrants will receive a 'souvenir' award. This means a 'smaller' version of the other awards, rather than a not very complimentary keyring or such like. A Second in Class is awarded for five or more in Class and third place for ten or more. . . .