Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > Club Hillclimb
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 30-04-17, 23:22
Don't lift !

E5_DCB is on a distinguished road
This can be a mine field for the first timer. Like when I started and all comments of what I should do which resulted in me having the wrong car for my licence.
I will try and go through the basics as some people have no idea what so ever.

The basic licence is the non race B licence. (£48 iirc from the msa)
You can upgrade when you get 4 (may of changed to 6 now check blue book) signatures from clark of course. You hand the upgrade card in when you sign on at meetings in the morning.

The B licence means you can race at B only meetings. When you upgrade to an A you then can race at A & B meetings.
B meetings are often on one day so all the practices and timed runs are on one day. Many of the A meeting are over a whole weekend. So practice on a saturday and the timed runs on a Sunday.

Now you need to join a Club as just the Non race B licence wont let you race.
But joining one club doesnt always mean you can race at any event around the UK.
BOC / MAC / BARC are some of the clubs.

Some hills like Loton hold their own Championship so you can join their club and their championship and race at that hill all through the year at the B events.
This is the same with Prescott and Gurston all have their own championship. Nothing stopping you joining all and doing all the championships.

Now if you wanna drive different hills this is where joining a championship like Richard says above helps. The Midland Championship now excepts a B licence. This will let you race at Loton/prescott/Shelsley/Gurston on Midland Championship meetings. . It can get boring hitting the same Hill all the time plus you dont tend to improve.

Once you get a few sigs and can upgrade to an A this will open many doors. You can then use this to enter A events,

The others have covered ppe so you should have a bit more of an idea now.
Old 30-04-17, 23:46

Biggles will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by E5_DCB View Post
You can upgrade when you get 4 (may of changed to 6 now check blue book) signatures from clark of course. You hand the upgrade card in when you sign on at meetings in the morning.
Currently 4 sigs (no restrictions on venue), as of 1/1/18 it's 6 sigs from at least 2 venues.
Old 01-05-17, 08:46

SKIDDERWOLF is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-05-17, 09:15

alilowe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIDDERWOLF View Post
Am I best joining the MAC then entering the Midland hill climb championship B license
This is exactly what I did last year and had a great year, now doing it again with an A license. Though I had been in the MAC for some time before

I enjoyed going to all of the different venues with the Midland, as there is always something to learn and it gives a bit of variety.

Each of the hills has its own challenge. I wouldn't want to miss any of them.

Your shopping list is as said above - nothing more to add other than if you are quick you can catch the second half of the season!
Old 02-05-17, 19:32

Thanks all for the advice given
Old 29-05-17, 17:25

Now I have purchased my licence and joined the MAC. Looking into helmets and overalls now and getting confused. I think I need a SNELL SA2015 helmet but open face or full face? Driving a Clio so I think open face will be ok. Can anyone recommend any good places to buy from
Old 29-05-17, 19:51

Biggles will become famous soon enough
My last 2 lids have been open face - much prefer them to full face in a tin top. Either way, I'd strongly recommend trying the helmet on before buying - not all helmets are the same (even two supposedly identical ones).
Page 170 in the Blue Book list all the acceptable standards - FIA 8859-2015 seems to be quite common now and has the added benefit of no expiry date.
Can't really suggest where to buy - my current lid came from DT - salesman seemed knowledgable & helpful so buying it was fine - less so when I noticed a crack in in when I got it home - which they swapped without problem - pity the replacement needed to go back to the manufacturer to have a fault repaired after I'd worn it 3 times and the DT customer service was pretty nonexistant - I got my lid back something over two months later ...
Old 29-05-17, 21:22
Skoda leg end

Alpinepg will become famous soon enough Alpinepg will become famous soon enough
I wouldn't bother with an A licence....there are only a handful of A events a year and unless your're doing the national championship there isn't much incentive to attend them unless you want to spend ages whilst the big single seater people faff around with start line antics and slow everything down. I had an A licence back in the day but I haven't bothered renewing it in the last decade because there are so many more B events where you'll get more runs at a much bigger range of venues.
Old 30-05-17, 10:38

Thanks guys, might be having a trip over to demon tweeks.
Old 30-05-17, 17:40

Dan Friel will become famous soon enough
Helmets. Don't discount suppliers such as Hedtec. You can get a open face helmet that meets the latest standard for £140. If you don't get the size right, it's a case of sending back and swapping... have a search on the web.

Overalls. Again, check the Blue Book for the correct standard (don't buy a kart suit!). I bought mine off BTDBTDBTDBTD for £100. It still had the £349 label stuck on it.