Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > Club Hillclimb
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 30-11-17, 18:42
Ex Radical owner

Radical has a spectacular aura about Radical has a spectacular aura about
[QUOTE=Steve Day;144642 The Gurston round in July is being dropped as we understand the organisers at that event are choosing to run two 1 Day B meetings.

Cheers Steve[/QUOTE]
From a deferent thread, Yippe, that would make the journey worthwile.
Old 30-11-17, 19:50
Don't lift !

E5_DCB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil_ker View Post
Gurston always seems to have a large 1400 modprod class compared to other events (all be it mainly minis)
This I really cant understand , as other hills have hardly any in C1 Gurstons a power hill so I dont understand why 1400cc and below cars are popular.
Lots of Minis and lots who dont race anywhere else it seems too. I spoke to a few at the last event and they are not intrested in racing anywhere else which seems odd to me. Ive noticed this a lot with other Hills some drivers dont race at other hills.
C2 at Gurston just doesnt seem popular and I cant see the point in going if im just the only one. The big Midland and leaders event we went to only had myself and Colin Satchell and some of the other clubby meets was just me over 2 days.
Old 01-12-17, 10:51

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by E5_DCB View Post
This I really cant understand , as other hills have hardly any in C1 Gurstons a power hill so I dont understand why 1400cc and below cars are popular.
Lots of Minis and lots who dont race anywhere else it seems too. I spoke to a few at the last event and they are not intrested in racing anywhere else which seems odd to me. Ive noticed this a lot with other Hills some drivers dont race at other hills.
The Up to 1400 Mod Prod class has been very popular in the South for many years. It has been well supported not just at Gurston. Possibly due to a lot of cars still running that have been around for years.
Old 01-12-17, 11:36
Don't lift !

E5_DCB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGriff View Post
As said by others, every meeting at Gurston this year was oversubscribed so no shortage on numbers. Perhaps the thread title should have been ?low entry numbers in my class?
Some of the classes seem wide open with drivers while others have none or only one driver in class. Seems a lot are going single seater as those classes are stacked deep.
But yes my class C2 seems odd over all the midland hills.
Old 01-12-17, 11:56
Not-so-slowboy

SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough
Isn't this just the usual natural progression/ movement whereby some classes go in and out of fashion?

And of course if there's one dominant winning machine in a class, you also tend to see folk moving away from it over time.
Old 01-12-17, 12:29
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by E5_DCB View Post
I just wondered why It seems people dont go to Gurston Down. The classes all seemed very slim this year. I personally like having numbers in my class and on the visits I did this year 3 seemed to be the max. One event just had myself in so I was merged.
Why dont people like the place ? Is it distance / tracks boring ??
We are likey to not bother competing at Gurston for this reason in 2018 as there is no point being the only driver in class.
Loton park never seems to have this issue they have big classes the same with Shelsley and Prescott but for Gurston Down it seems people just dont go.
I took my first ever trip down this year, after winning a free spectator pass, so I went down with the family, just to spectate, and the journey down from Leicester, even without a trailer, was awful, over three hours. That's too far for me. I'll happily do Loton though, the motorway network makes it far easier to get to.

I did enjoy Gurston though, a great atmosphere, and a short but demanding looking track. But I wouldn't drive all the way there to compete.
Old 01-12-17, 16:21

webby will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
I did enjoy Gurston though, a great atmosphere, and a short but demanding looking track. But I wouldn't drive all the way there to compete.
You don't know what you are missing!!
Old 01-12-17, 18:25
Return of The Sith

team knifedge will become famous soon enough team knifedge will become famous soon enough
Don't think distance is that much of an issue graham
All it would take is an m6/m54 disaster and it could take you over 2hrs to get to loton or the lawns !
Old 01-12-17, 18:25

AllanMcD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
But I wouldn't drive all the way there to compete.
Its a long way from the South of Scotland but I never miss a championship event.Somtimes I am glad I dont live up about Aberdeen
Old 02-12-17, 09:17

bentimingstrut will become famous soon enough bentimingstrut will become famous soon enough
Well for me the Gurston Midland round will be sorely missed in 2018. I really do hope it returns in 2019. We combine it with a short family break as her indoors loves the area.