Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > Club Hillclimb
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 26-12-17, 10:45
Freelance Wing Mangler

image is on a distinguished road
With only three championship venues in the whole of Scotland (the restricted classic events are excellent but not open to modern machinery), great roads and low population it would be great to see something developed here
Old 26-12-17, 10:50

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
Unless the location is very remote, I doubt any meaningful closed public road even will get going (I mean European type hill climbs).

Any such event, all day event, will trap too many people in their homes, business' will suffer and other disruptions will cause public resistance.

This island is so crowded.
Wales hosts a lot of rallies, but look at the roads. My Lola would never ride those roads, so for road going (type) cars only.

Organisation and insurance etc will be a difficult area. Open to the public standing on the wrong place on the worst bends hoping to catch a crash with a selfie would be a CofC's nightmare.

Great we have the chance, but reality I think is far away.
Old 26-12-17, 11:07

St Eval is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Jordan View Post
If`tis where I think it is Roy will need some long top gears!
From what I hear, there will be no single seaters or open top libre at Watergate. I also think that the venues need to be remote. But track licence is likely to be the big issue.

Roy
Old 26-12-17, 13:27

helloyes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Eval View Post
From what I hear, there will be no single seaters or open top libre at Watergate. I also think that the venues need to be remote. But track licence is likely to be the big issue.

Roy
No single seaters ! I was just getting excited Always thought, whilst sitting on that beach with the kids.... "That would make a great Hillclimb"
Old 26-12-17, 13:57

Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolat492 View Post
Any such event, all day event, will trap too many people in their homes, business' will suffer and other disruptions will cause public resistance.
Especially if they have experienced the Birmingham cycle extravaganza last year . At least a Hillclimb would only close a mile or so.

Hasta
Old 26-12-17, 14:24

Indeed, I was trapped by that one. We had to stay overnight on Sat because we could not get out of the estate due to road closeures.
Caused major disruption. They are going to do it next year too...
Old 27-12-17, 10:03

Mike Wood is on a distinguished road
Hi

What about something like Eagles Rock hillclimb in NI: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LsKixKZhmOI

Or Naul hillclimb in the Republic of Ireland: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJVi3LBSrU (and this press release gives the flavour of the event: https://motorsport.ie/2015/08/05/nau...motorsport-ie/)

Worth noting that the Irish speed championship tends to have double header weekends, often at two different hills relatively close to each other which might help reduce tbe burden of road closures while getting a suitable number of events for a championship. Also note that closed road events in NI and RoI often only use each venue once a year, all of which might make closures and disruption more palatable to local people.

Cheers
Mike
Old 27-12-17, 10:44

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
I am not that sure that a "remote" venue would be easier to get up & running. I think it is more that you need a stretch of road that if closed doesn't have a great impact on traffic flow in the area (easily bypassed or avoided). Also a road that is effectively a cul-de-sac would be ideal (no through traffic to worry about), thus a road to a hill top or along a valley would be perfect.

In Northern Ireland the road closures are by act of their own parliament and therefore tend to be an annual event and on the same week-end each year. The locals make it a special event and attendant crowd is always enthusiastic.
Old 27-12-17, 12:43

Take your point Steve, bui cant see many clubs having the will
And resources to actually do the leg work before and on the day. It all takes people and that
ISA
Rare resource
Today imho
Old 27-12-17, 20:32

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolat492 View Post
Indeed, I was trapped by that one. We had to stay overnight on Sat because we could not get out of the estate due to road closeures.
Caused major disruption. They are going to do it next year too...
We were all inconvenienced by that one and will be again by the looks of it. If it had been a hillclimb it wouldn't have made it any better for the inconvenienced public. I would have moaned.