Go Back   Uphill Racers > Sprint > British Sprint Championship
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 25-05-16, 09:08
NOT OF OMS RACING

steveoms is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewesty View Post
Thanks Steve
I PM'd John and he's sold his engines. It looks like I've found a couple of others from a reliable source so fingers crossed I should be able to get up and running soon...ish.
Going to remove the blown one tomorrow.
That's a shame, he had them up for sale for quite a while, sods law.

I hope you can find one asap. Good luck pulling the old one out, pretty easy on mine so should be pretty much the same for you.

Steve
Old 25-05-16, 11:53

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thanks Steve
I PM'd John and he's sold his engines. It looks like I've found a couple of others from a reliable source so fingers crossed I should be able to get up and running soon...ish.
Going to remove the blown one tomorrow.
Don't forget to increase the oil feed to #3 main bearing
John
Old 25-05-16, 23:28

purplewesty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoms View Post
That's a shame, he had them up for sale for quite a while, sods law.

I hope you can find one asap. Good luck pulling the old one out, pretty easy on mine so should be pretty much the same for you.

Steve
Thanks Steve

Any tips on removal and refitting.

After a bit of trial and error I managed to get the old engine out but i can see replacing is going to be a bit of a tease. Should fit exhaust first for example and pre fit the front engine mounts etc. Just wondered if you have a sequence for refitting.
Old 26-05-16, 09:31
NOT OF OMS RACING

Quote:
Thanks Steve

Any tips on removal and refitting.

After a bit of trial and error I managed to get the old engine out but i can see replacing is going to be a bit of a tease. Should fit exhaust first for example and pre fit the front engine mounts etc. Just wondered if you have a sequence for refitting.
I always leave the manifold on when lifting out and hopefully you found that it just pulls free from the chassis when using an engine crane. When putting back in I bolt up the manifold first but not too tight on mine as it goes 4 into one and there is usually some jiggling to do when fitting the rest of the exhaust. I find there is just enough room to tighten the nuts on the manifold once set in the car. It is definitely a tight fit going back in and you may have to wiggle it about to get the lower rear mounts back through the upper rear mounting gap. I have never pre-fit the front mounts before and actually leave them until after I have got the rear mount bolts in position, loose. Obviously this all from doing it on my car and no doubt there will be differences on yours but overall I have found it relatively easy. Mind you I have had the engine in and out 4 or 5 times now due to breaking the gearbox a few times and then the blow up. Do you need to remove the engine on yours to change the clutch. I do on mine and if yours is the same and you are putting a used engine back in I would definitely change the clutch while it is out. You will probably of already had that on your list but I learnt the hard way with a replacement engine going in only to find the clutch was no good (slipping) when I got to the next event. I hope some of this might help but if you need anymore info just ask. Good luck.
Old 26-05-16, 20:56

purplewesty is on a distinguished road
Thanks Steve, yes I'll be checking and replacing the clutch before the replacement goes in.
I must admit I don't no if it's possible to replace with in my car or not. These are the sort of issues I guess I'll find out about. My car originally had a Blackbird engine in so I don't know how much the rear chassis was altered when Steve installed the ZZR.
I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to be able to hammer over the soft link on the chain. There's a split link on at the moment but it's only a matter of time before I have to change it. Ive got a Whale splitter and riviting tool but I can't seem to find the room to swing the hammer to hit it. Wonder how everyone else manages
Old 27-05-16, 10:19
NOT OF OMS RACING

Quote:
Thanks Steve, yes I'll be checking and replacing the clutch before the replacement goes in.
I must admit I don't no if it's possible to replace with in my car or not. These are the sort of issues I guess I'll find out about. My car originally had a Blackbird engine in so I don't know how much the rear chassis was altered when Steve installed the ZZR.
I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to be able to hammer over the soft link on the chain. There's a split link on at the moment but it's only a matter of time before I have to change it. Ive got a Whale splitter and riviting tool but I can't seem to find the room to swing the hammer to hit it. Wonder how everyone else manages
I have always used a link press type riveter on mine, still a bit tricky with the room available but can just about manage.