Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > General > General Motorsport
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

General Motorsport Forum for the discussion of non speed event motorsport.

Old 18-10-16, 17:10

jeffwiltshire will become famous soon enough
Javelin Sprint Series - Cheap(er) sprinting

I've spent the last weekend at Snetterton doing the Toyota Sprint Series (with Nigel Fleming) on the 100 circuit on Saturday and the 300 circuit (!) on Sunday with the Javelin Sprint Series. Both of these events are actually run by the same team from Javelin and the Toyota series has a class X for non-Toyota cars.

The safety requirements are pretty simple, you need a crash helmet which is in good order and long sleeves/trousers. The car has to be safe and has a safety inspection before you can compete. So very similar to a trackday. You need a day license from the IOPD to compete as well.

Saturday it was two laps of the 100 circuit and we got one convoy run, one untimed practise & eight timed runs. This is my fastest run of the day which was the fastest overall and the class winner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DObkIdrcMvI

Sunday was the 300 and it was raining in the morning. A two lap convoy, one untimed practise and then six timed runs (more would have been available but the rain came back after drying so people didn't bother).

Wet practise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7CchpG-89M
Damp Timed run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv59XGY8z7M
(water in the work as far as sound is concerned)

I did a 2min 6 sec on my best dry run and that was 3rd overall and 1st in class.

Lots of different classes on the JSS so something for everyone. Great events with minimal MSA type issues. Recomended.

http://www.javelinsprintdays.co.uk/JTSS/
Old 18-10-16, 17:40

dopdog will become famous soon enough
Don't tell everyone Jeff it will be packed next year
Old 18-10-16, 17:58

Well I hope so, it deserves to be. Wireless timing gear (no 3 hour set ups and endless cable issues) professional team who work together all the time, sensible safety rules and lots of runs, what is not to like.

We ran the Snetterton 300 circuit on Sunday in heavy rain in the morning and changeable conditions in the pm. One circuit recovery all day and that was a break down.

Scrutineering/signing on started at 7am, briefing at 8.40, convoy runs at 9.00, first practise at 9.20. By lunchtime I'd done more runs than I would in the whole of an MSA sprint and we went on to have 8 runs on the 100 circuit and 6 on the 300. This is what sprinting should be like, not the 2 timed runs if we can fit it in attitude that prevails in our world.
Old 18-10-16, 18:20

172cup is on a distinguished road
It would be a great series if the classes had a lot more structure and were stricter. Lots of potential though.

Agree it's what the speed world needed though. Far too many old guard around that refuse to change to attract a younger generation.
Old 18-10-16, 18:34

dan mason will become famous soon enough
Exactly mate!
Old 18-10-16, 18:50

More structure comes with more entries. I can't think of any reason why someone like the WSCC couldn't run a IOPD event. MLR run a sprint series on a similar basis to Javelin and there are others.

If the MSA want people to dress like a F1 driver to sling a family hatch at a circuit then there is something not adding up. You can do a Autosolo/Autotest with no helmet or safety equipment, you can do a trackday with a bike helmet and limps covered so why the FIA helmet/gloves & suit for a sprint?

A significant dose of common sense needs to occur at the MSA or they will not control grass-roots motorsport for much longer. IOPD annual license it £15 !
Old 18-10-16, 18:58

shiftspark is on a distinguished road
I was looking to do this for all the reasons you have said, lots of runs and if you don't need the safety stuff the MSA stipulate much cheaper as well.
Only the spread of events put me off this year but waiting on next years calander to see if it suits me next year.
Old 18-10-16, 19:49

Justin is on a distinguished road
Jeff the Snett 100 circuit was very similar in length to the Borough 19 sprint in May - yet you knocked 5 seconds off your time! Good improvement, conditions looked similar
Old 18-10-16, 20:11

dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Jeff the Snett 100 circuit was very similar in length to the Borough 19 sprint in May - yet you knocked 5 seconds off your time! Good improvement, conditions looked similar
Thats slicks for you.
Old 18-10-16, 20:11

T13EES is on a distinguished road
Looks very attractive Jeff. Javelin not you ! I emailed Javelin re. a class for my Jedi for next year and got a reply stating that yes there is and that they are reviewing this and other class structures for next season due to increased interest I believe.
I think you said there were a few single seaters there this Sunday ?
Sounds very, very tempting ay ?

Tony